WAG Front handspring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How can you properly execute a front handspring? My coaches have called over other coaches and they all tried to explain to me what to do and how to do it. I just can't snap up! I land in a squatted position with one leg in front of the other, they come down almost at the same time.

Any tips, drills, conditioning? :)

Thankyouu!:)

Do every "right" thing as hard and as you possibly can. So ask your coach what you're doing right....or half right as is likely in your case, and put twice as much speed and energy into those, and then you'll be "all right".

One last thing....... tilt your head toward the spot on the floor you're standing up from to make it easier. That part of it resembles a back handspring, because you tilt your head toward the spot where you've come from too. It's part of the snapdown motion, and both skills need the snap down.

You may need to improve your back and shoulder flexibility as this will enable you to hit the floor at the correct angle when you block and pop. Also your feet are probably landing too far away which is making it difficult to land standing up properly. Therefore you should improve your flexibility so you can land your feet closer to your arms in your front handspring. (Doing this helped mine immensely as I had the same problem)

My back and shoulders are very flexible, and I have a good front walkover, so I don't think lack of flexibility is the problem. Thanks though!

Try thinking of it as a round off that doesn't twist. My guess (without a video) is that you may be relying you your flexibility a little too much. As you lunge into the front handspring, bend you front leg and drive your back leg over the top. As your hands hit the ground, the front leg should begin to try to catch up with the back one. Squeeze and watch your hands. If you are landing on your rear, chances are, you're looking for the landing. Front tumbling is blind. i.e. you can't see your landing. It may take some getting used to.
If you think about arching over, chances are, you won't really bounce or block. Your shoulders should be in the process of opening as your hands hit so you bounce. Many folks close their shoulders causing more of a rolling over motion instead of the bounce you need.
Hope this makes sense.

Todd - that's a great way to put it. I'm going to have to try explaining it that way because a lot of my girls have trouble with this too. They land flat on their backs (I call it "dead bird"). I keep telling them to push with their shoulders and push their hips up, but I think the looking at your hands and not for the floor is the way to go!

this is why front headspring needs tp be learned for shoulder and hip extension

lunge lever and kick your leg over your head till it gets to the floor and chase the 2nd leg with the first one

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back