WAG Getting involved in coaching?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sneezyone

Proud Parent
I'm curious about summer job opportunities for teen optional gymnasts or even those who have left the sport. Do teen gymnasts at your gym have the chance to work at summer rec. day camps or teach preschool gym classes?

Yes. We allow our team girls and even the older high school in the advance class to help in the rec classes. Usually paired up with the adult coaches.

The gym my girls go to has something called a Leadership Academy that you can sign up for when you are 11, you get the chance to help at comps and also shadow coaches during rec sessions. My oldest has just started doing this and helped in her first rec session yesterday and loved it, she also helped in a gym event in the evening. I think the is a good thing as it gives them a chance to see the hard work that goes into coaching and gives them more respect for their coaches and what they do for them, it also gives the girls and boys who volunteer confidence and build up their self esteem.

Our gym allows kids to help with birthday parties at the gym starting at age 13, I think. I think once they are a little older, they are sometimes asked to help with rec classes and camps.

Yes, but I don't knew specifics. They usually are at least Level 9s. We have a girls or two who also works to help pay tuition or summer camp. I think that is great.

Cool, so I'm not crazy. This would be a neat way for DD to continue with the sport if/when she decides to quit or goes off to college. She'll be a 11 yo 6/7 when we move next year (no injuries or desire to quit as of yet) but I'm thinking ahead to her wanting gas and mall money!

It's a great way to continue in the gymnastics world if you are done being a gymnast. Myself and all the coaches at our gym did gymnastics at our gym. It's like keeping us all in the family.

We have several of our gymnasts go one to coach. One retired as an L9 working her L10 skills (not sure if she ever competed at L10) during her junior year. She played high school sports for a year and after graduating, began coaching low level team as she attends college.

We currently how have a coach who is only 16. She competed up to L7 and decided she was done...no injuries, no fear issues, still loved the sport....just wasn't interested in training higher level. She gracefully walked away at 15 and began coaching.

You know what? She is a FABULOUS coach! She chooses words that help her L2s see what she is trying to get out of them. She does a great job and the girls love her and respect her despite her young age. Now I think there is some issue with her not being able to coach by herself on the floor at meets but not sure what's going on there.

Our owner only hires former gymnasts as coaches. I think she believes it is a fundamental part of being able to coach.

Forgot to say that we have a summer day camp but it is pretty much just child care in a gym setting....not any kind of formal gymnastics training/coaching. If you really want to coach, I'd just go to your gym and pursue rec/low team opportunities. If you just want to hang out in a gym and work with kids without the responsibility of coaching, then look into the day camp. Our HC hires gymnasts and nongymnasts to work day camp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back