Parents Gymnast Wrist syndrome

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom82773

Proud Parent
I have an 11 year old who is a level 9 USAG gymnast. She had been having wrist pain and we got some disturbing news yesterday . There is mild damage to her growth plates in both wrist and the dr wants to X-ray them every 6 months and if they get worse she has to stop the sport . This kid lives and breathes gymnastics . He said in all the cases he's seen only once did they have to stop so I'm trying to be optimistic . He told me this w her out of the room so she doesn't know this . He is sending her for PT to strengthen the muscles around the wrist . I spoke w her coach and she will have her wear wrist guards for everything and take out the urchenko vault and just tsuk . If she can get through the next 2 years without too much further damage , she is home free after the plates close on their own . I'm just really worried . This problem is actually called "gymnast wrist " if you google it so it's quite common . Anyone have similar problems with young gymnasts and wrist growth plate issues ?? Should she start looking into other sports ? It was a rough day yesterday ...

I have coached gymnasts with this diagnosis and they didn't have to quit. I'm concerned the only "rest" mentioned was switching her vault to a tsuk. That's not what I would call resting her wrist. Did they splint her?

She has a splint for the right one which is worse ( it was casted for 4 weeks which just came off yesterday ) coach said other things to help too . What is better to wear .. The splint or wrist guards ?? I'm a little confused about that . Dr said minimal impact until she goes through the 4 weeks PT . No bars for that time at all . I will talk to the PT today about the splint and when it should be used .. Dr acted like only when she had pain?? Idk .. He said so much info in a short amount of time !! She went to school with the splint today .. It's sore from coming out of the cast . Thanks for your input

Sometimes the PT is more helpful in explaining things and guiding recovery, so hopefully you end up with a good PT who can give you more than the vague info you have received. Is she completely free from pain after 4 weeks in the cast? The wrist guards are used once she resumes impact, and the splint is used before she is ready to do impact skills.

A boy on team had this, and Dr. said zero impact for 3 months. after that slow return and mandatory wrist guards.
Err on the side of caution. she only has two hands for the rest of her life.
Gymnastics is about 1/64 of what she has ahead of her.

BTW, The physical therapy is probably THE most important part of quick recovery. Take it seriously.

We are seeing a highly recommended PT . He is especially good with young athletes. Other kids from my daughters gym have had good results through him . When the dr pushed at certain points after the cast came off , she didn't feel pain . She said it was sore last night but that could be from being immobile . I'm wondering if the other wrist should be in a splint too ... I will talk to the PT . I had also heard taping the wrists under her bar grips may help when she gets back on bars .
Thanks so much for all your information !!

My daughter had this in one wrist 18 months or so ago.
I think she was in the splint and off bars/vault/tumbling for about 6 weeks till she was pain free then limited impact/tiger paws for awhile longer. No problems with her wrist since, I wish she was better at wearing the wrist supports though but she rarely wears them now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back