WAG Hair requirement at meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i don't believe that are many requirements but i know that my gym doesn't allow glitter(makes the beam slippery). my gym also likes it when we use binders that coordinate with our gyms colors and if we have long hair it isn't supposed to be able to go past our hairline if it is flipped over towards our faces. after many years of competing i have found that buns and the "checker board" hair styles are the best for longer hair! hope this helps!

DD's gym has no requirements for hair other than if it is shoulder-length or longer, they need to have it tied up somehow so it doesn't hang past the nape of their neck. There is no team requirement--the girls can wear whatever hairstyle they are most comfortable with. DD's hair is almost to the small of her back and she prefers a standard pony that's tucked under at the end (so it kind of looks like a poofy pony)--she simply pulls the end under the hair tie until she can't feel the pony on her back.

If there's any requirements at your gym,than find out what they are. If there isn't,maybe try being creative. Some girls on my team just wear their hair up in a simple pony tail. Others do a braid or a bun. If your daughter has short hair,maybe try to buy a fake bun or braid clip that'll go into her hair so she can wear it up (somewhat) and it's totally up to her because I don't know what she likes and how long her hair is. Good luck trying to find a hair style!

Here is what the USAG Rules and Policies state regarding appearance(page 5):

9. Be well groomed in her appearance:
a. Clean attire.
b. Hair secured away from the face so as to not obscure her vision of the apparatus.
c. No jewelry, with the exception of one pair of stud earrings (one in each ear). All other piercing should be
REMOVED, not just covered with tape or Band-Aids.

Of course, as others have stated, your gym may have it's own rules as well.

What is the USAG rule on how hair should be done for meets?

I do not put bobby pins or barrettes in the hair because there is a very small risk. (If the bobby pin comes out and hits their eye).

We section off the hair on the top, use gel, and pull it back with clear bands (twists of the hair work better if you have the time). Then we put all the hair together in a back pony tail. Then comes the braid and that gets put into a bun. We put the scrunchie on the braid, all the way up, before we do the bun. That way the scrunchie does not fall out. It takes a long time. Talk to people in your gym about what is expected for meet hair and/or look at past team pictures.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back