Hi everyone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone!!

I'm a totally new beginner gymnast...only been to two lessons so far. Had the second one today and I'm loving it. I wished that the lessons were more structured though but my gym doesn't have high level gymnastics to start with. :(

I'm 21 and I'm around 1.56/7m tall. I'm told that this is a good height for gymnastics lol! :D I've always liked gymnastics as a kid and I always loved watching it on TV but I swam as a child. Now that I have a chance, I'm taking it up so that I won't regret not going for gymnastics when I'm older. It'll also force me to whip my butt into shape seeing as I don't like running as an exercise!

Please be patient with me (I may have heaps of questions ;)) as a I continue to walk this lovely journey of adult gymnastics. Thank you!! :D

Welcome! We're always happy to have a new adult gymnast. We all believe that despite what a lot of people think you're not too old to participate in this sport. I think its just a matter of coming at it at a different angle then you do when you start out as a child. Keep at it and try the different tips & conditioning skills you find in different threads and I think you'll do great. Just make sure to have fun & let us all know how its coming along. Its great encouragement to all of us to keep doing what we love :).

Great to have you here, Andromeda! It's always happy news to see another adult taking up gymnastics. :)

Welcome AndromedaAiken!
We all wish you the best in gymnastics. Ask as many questions as you'd like. We're all here to support and encourage each other! :)

Hi Andromeda! It is always good to find crazy adults like us! Glad you are getting into gymnastics, you may even find that as an adult it is a little easier to pick up on stuff!

Welcome! You are lucky to be that height, shorter gymnasts tend to get injured less (due to less weight) and learn more quickly. Gymnastics is a blast, and it is a great motivator to work out!

Thanks for the welcomes! Really appreciated. GikiGirl, do shorter gymnasts really get less injuries? I've only heard of the lower CoG thing as an advantage for shorter gymnasts but other than that, never really heard others (especially the less injury bit) lol. :) I'm currently trying to master the pullover on bars. I think it's kind of a mental block for me right now. The feeling when I'm flipping over the bar (is that a hip circle?) feels totally weird to me...I get this feeling like I'm going to fall off. :s Any tips for that?

I too am having issues with a full pullover as well. Lots of ab conditioning and arm strength, do lots of pull ups, and wall pushups. That has helped me, that and just doing them over and over and over again. Just remember, don't let go! If you don't let go, you won't fall and you wont hurt yourself.

They are less inclined to overuse injuries, because less weight, yes.

Thanks for the welcomes! Really appreciated. GikiGirl, do shorter gymnasts really get less injuries? I've only heard of the lower CoG thing as an advantage for shorter gymnasts but other than that, never really heard others (especially the less injury bit) lol. :) I'm currently trying to master the pullover on bars. I think it's kind of a mental block for me right now. The feeling when I'm flipping over the bar (is that a hip circle?) feels totally weird to me...I get this feeling like I'm going to fall off. :s Any tips for that?

Oh I see! Wow, I feel (if I could) even better with starting gymnastics! :D Hehehe! nicci1999, sometimes, even when my hands are still on the bar, I can still fall lol! Can we not progress if we haven't mastered the pullover?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back