How do i control my power in tumbling and vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok, so i am a naturally powerful gymnast and have trouble controlling my landings particularly on punch front saults (i.e. run front tuck) what can i do to help this same goes for vault i get heaps of power and end up failing to stand up half the time (i fall forward).

I have a slight problem with backwards but not to the same extent

So i guess my question is how can i control this power that i have?

For the front sault, you probably need to adapt your take off position. If you are leaning too far forwards on take off, you will probably end up lurching forwards.
You might also need to open out earlier.

Do lots of landing drills - Straight jumps off various heights to stick, also practice on various landing surfaces to really engage your stomach muscles.

For vault, again it's likely to be your take off position. On the springboard, your feet should be in front of your shoulders and arms slightly behind you at your side (Think "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" If you lean backwards on the springboard with arms down, when the board 'bounces' you up, and you swing your arms up, you will go forwards and upwards. You might also need to work on blocking off the vault in dish, sometimes when gymnasts arch off the top they end up falling forwards.

Again, do lots of landing drills.

Hope something helps! Do you have any videos of you doing the skills, as that might help to 'diagnose' a bit better!

i don't have any videos because it is not very acceptable or a common occurance to be videoing in the gym, but i would say that Marie is right about the front sault as that has been a bit of a problem. For vault i am slightly dished already so i think it is probably my take off position again thanks for helping!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back