Parents How do you display (organize) awards?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
DD is only 5 and is already in need of a way to display her awards. She already has 3 trophies, 8 medals, and an array of ribbons. Currently, they are on her dresser, and her little brother likes to take the medals and wear them around the house - it's cute, but he's taking the medals off the "necklace" part.

So, what do you do to organize? I was thinking some kind of shelving with coat hooks (or knobs) to hang the medals. Would that work? And what about the ribbons? DDs last meet did the ribbon scoring and she's very proud of them.

DD has a curtain rod for medals and a little shelf right above for trophies, etc. She doesn't keep the ribbons, but i remember seeing someone make a "hula" skirt for a teddy bear out of them.

Mine keeps all current season medals in the curtain rod, then takes them all off after 1st meet if new season and puts then in a storage bin. We right score and place on the back of the medal if we remember to.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

We use the coat rack thing for medals and it works great. It's getting a little full and we may need to pair down, but it holds a *lot*. I also recommend writing place and event in sharpie on the back - it's easy to forget after enough meets. For ribbons, we put those little hooks (the small ones Command or 3M makes) on the side of a bookshelf in three rows of three, and we have quite a few there. A few she has put in her scrapbook as well. Trophies are just on the top of her bookshelf, but we will have to cull these too, soon.

I've made quite a display for DD. For both her L3 and L5 years, I have a pre-made strip with hooks. One looks like it was made to hold scarves and has 6 hooks. The other looks like it might be made to hand keys on and has 4 hooks. Then I have wooden L3 and L5 above each rack along with any newspaper clippings, a picture of two tucked in, and her USAG card from that season. It looks really cute on her walls and she enjoys having them on display.

Her participation ribbons, I admit, are filed away in a file cabinet and are rarely looked at anymore. Trophies are on her bookshelf but I'm in the process of building a ledge that is the same height as the top of her window will and goes around her whole room for gym trophies, soccer trophies, riding trophies, academic awards, and for anything else she might win in her childhood.

someone put a link on here last fall.. it was for a certain company, but i forget the initials.. anyway google personalized medal holders and you should get a bunch of cool results.. for L3 we just got one with DD's name on it since they get a billion medals.. as she progresses, i plan to get a holder for each level..

here it is Gymnastics Medal Holders | Medal Displays | Medal Hangers K and S holders.. it was a great christmas gift!!

her tropies are on top of her book shelf, another meet or two and we'll need to find a new spot!

Last edited:
We used this as a booster club project/fundraiser. A couple of Dads made wooden plaques with dowels in them to hang on the wall for medals and ribbons, and shelves for trophies. Moms painted and decorated them, (often put 'girl's name' medals on them) and we sold them to parents for $10. We did a good busienss because there was always a new team/season starting and a new demand. Best part was that it was 90% profit - just the cost of wood and paint.

I also use curtain rods for medals. They work out great for being able to add more of the same type around her room. She is only in season 2 so not too many trophies yet so those are just on her dresser. I do like those specialized hangers but with around 5 medals a meet it seems like it would get too pricey for me to use that option for a long time.

My daugther is Level 8 and this is her 6th season competing. I bought a cheap (7.99) over door rack at TJMaxx her first season. It has crystal looking hooks and it's on her closet door. She just puts the medals on as she gets them. While you can't see all the medals from years ago, I think she just likes all the 'bling' in one place.

Her trophies are mostly on a shelf that's on the wall....it actually fits 2-3 deep. Again, you can't see the details on all the trophies but it's the bling factor.

She has her 'special' trophies (whether 1st place or some meet she really loved or a trophy that looks different from teh rest) on her windowsill....and has a few super crazy big ones (states) on her dresser.

Seriously, though, there is no room left....so next season, we will need to figure something else out! She's not ready to relegate anything to a bin yet! She's pretty proud of all her stuff!

After some research (google, lol), I saw some interesting set ups. I decided to use a sports jersey sized shadow box I had in the garage (huge sports fan, just never got arround to mounting it) and pinned them in there. My DD and I layed them out in a design she like and presto trophy box! Since the gym was changing leos this year I was able to pin last years in the middle and surround it with her medals. It looks sharp IMHO. I did preface this and told my DD that she WILL NOT get a box for every year, but rather at the end of each season we would swap them out. For that I use a small rack with hooks.

I use silver Command Adhesive hooks to hold up simple wooden dowels that you can get at the hardware store.

It's the same idea as curtain rods.

I have long ones (4feet) in 2 tiers over her bed for swim ribbons and the odd ribbon from gym or a road race, or something else. If the ribbons don't have strings I use clip rings.

The medal dowels are cut shorter. I'm not sure you could load them down on a 4' span without a center support hook, though that would be fine.

We have a cork board for each season and use thumbtacks to tack each medal on. We start at the bottom and layer them all the way up. We were able to tack on her ribbons as well. It kept them in one spot and made it very easy to add them. It also separated them by season. They are a beautiful and easy space saving way to display the medals and ribbons. She is tired of her little girl gymnastics room now and wants a beach theme. I guess we will now keep her medals in a crate in the attic and just keep her most current momentos on one corkboard in her room.

I like all the ideas I have seen here.

DD has a curtain rod for medals and a little shelf right above for trophies, etc. She doesn't keep the ribbons, but i remember seeing someone make a "hula" skirt for a teddy bear out of them.

Mine keeps all current season medals in the curtain rod, then takes them all off after 1st meet if new season and puts then in a storage bin. We right score and place on the back of the medal if we remember to.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Pretty much same here. Trophies on shelf medals hang on nails from shelf. All trophies stay out. Medals get packed away each season. I try to put them in baggies with meet date place scores and placings.

We don't attend many meets with trophies, so not a big deal. We hung a curtain rod on the wall, all the medals at one end in level order, the ribbons on the other end. New ones are marked with date, level, score, place and added on each end. Above the rod hangs photos of Dd with various Olympians. It's her "gymnastics wall"!

we don't get so many medals over here only first-third get one, so I have a pocket display book and each pocket I put the meet programme and scoresheet plus any prize she gets. Trophys are currently decorating the dining room.

'Margo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back