Parents How many meets? Level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We just got DDs meet schedule. Our gym is relatively relaxed and I know from last year's experience that they don't expect the girls to compete at every meet. There are 9 meets on the schedule - which DD got to before I did! She thinks 9 meets sounds great! I think it is a bit much. She says - but it's only 9 meets ALL YEAR, MOM! I think she's crazy and is going to burn out. BTW, the 9 meets includes states. Clearly, she loves meets - has a great time, loves "performing" and thinks it is just the best thing ever.

So? What to do? For those of you with more experience than I, what seems like a reasonable and customary number of meets?

How long is there season? I think that last year my DD did about 10 meets over the 6 months of meet season (we have fall and spring season here). If it was just over 3 months, might seem too much for me. If the season is spread out over 4+ months, I would think it was reasonable. I think 2 meets a month is okay, 3+ is too much, not much time for corrections, rest, etc.

Our Level 4 Team does 6 meets one of which is an in-house meet. The seson for them is October to Early February. We try really hard not to financially not overwhelm our parents at this l. Also we try not to take too much of their family time from them.

Each clulb has its own philosphy on meets.Ours want kids to enjoy gymnastics and not burn out from too much commitment or injury.

You as a parent need to pick your balacne if its a choice to skip meet. I also know from experience it is really hard on the team if kids are missing from meets. Gymnastics is a hard balnce sometimes and its easier on families i think if the gym picksa do able number of meets for each level and asks you to make the commitment to them.

Sorry for the long ramble good luck with the season it really is fun!

Our meet season is October - March. Our L4s do 7 meets. (L3s do 5)

9 doesn't seem terribly unreasonable if your season is similar in length to ours. I can see gaps in the schedule where it would be easy to fit 2 more in w/o it being overwhelming.

Our meet season is October through March. We have 8 meets but not everyone does all 8. We do 6 of them in Jan-March which gets a little crazy!:eek:

Thanks for the replies! The meets are spread from October until states in April. She's so excited to do them all that we just might let her... In cotober there are two but one is just our gym and the local Y - a 'get your feet wet' sort of meet for the first one. Then there are two in February and two in march with states in April.

Funny thing - i was wondering if the 9 meets on the schedule was too much and when I dropped DD off at open gym this morning and they had added another meet to the schedule! :p. Go figure! I'm so glad she's so excited for another year - guess we'll just follow her lead on this one!

Last year Alex's level 4 team had 12 meets including state. Then she moved to Level 5 and 2 more were added to her schedule! However she broke her foot and only competed 11 meets, 2 of which she only competed bars!
Alex loves competing and would go to a meet every weekend if she could!
This year they are scheduled to do 8 meets (Level 5) but Alex is hoping to move to Prep Op (our gym has now opted to do Prep Op instead of level 6 and just do a 1 level 6 meet to score out) so that in February she can go to the Magical Classic in Florida. Only our level 7 and prep op girls are going to that one!! If this happens then a couple more meets would be added to her schedule!

Last edited:
We have 2 sessions in a year one goes from Sep - Dec and the second session goes from Jan - may.

In the first session with sectional and states included the L4,5 &6 are doing a total of 6 meets. Most gyms don't do alot in that session its more like a practice session to get the butterflies out of their system for the second sessions.

The 2nd session they do 9 total including sectional and states. So that gives a total of 15 for both sessions from Sep - May.

Over the year I have foun it usually is some where etween 10 and 15 meets in a competitive year for just about any level. I know once January starts it seems we have a meet just about every weekend (about 3 a month) until states. So your DD's sounds about average.

Our level 4s have 8 meets on the schedule, including states. Our season is October to May/June (whenever states is).

8-9 meets probably comes out to one per month, which seems reasonable to me.

Our AAU level 4's will have 4 meets plus the state meet.

I don't think 9 is too much if you have the money and the parents don't have to attend them all! LOL

We have seven meets including Judges Cup and States. They run from September to December.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back