WAG How to handle it when they get it wrong

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
At our meet last weekend the scores were a mess. Vault was flashing on the bar score section and vice versa. The girls were being misidentified. Scores were not flashing at all. And one little girl who scratched on beam was listed as scratching on floor and ended up with a beam medal. WHAT? I get in the grand scheme it's all a blip in most of the gymnastics careers, but a girl got left off the podium on beam because this girls floor score was listed as her beam score.

At the meets our booster club and gym hosted the last several years, we used a computer scoring and flashing system--an adult would enter the scores into the computer at each judges table (judges didn't do it and we didn't let kids do it), then at the end of the rotation, the adult would bring the sheet of hand written scores from the judges to the head scoring table (that was usually me). I (or whoever was doing it) would cross check scores by what was entered in the computer. 99.9% of the time it was correct, but when it wasn't, I'd have to go check with that judge and see what it was supposed to be, then make the correction in the computer, if needed (which would cause the score to reflash).

Can't imagine NOT doing it with a computer!

Wow, I've never seen this done at a girls USAG meet. High school meets use to do it (I hope they still don't). It took forever even though there are way less competitors (teams have a limited number that can compete on each event, about a 1/4 of what an average event rotation would be at a big USAG meet).

Doesn't take forever. We enter the scores as they come in. Once the rotation is done, it takes less than five minutes to run down a column of 70+ scores and cross check. Over the course of the entire meet, it probably adds no more than 10 minutes, because warmups are happening while we are doing the end-of-rotation checks. And of course, if we run over into the start of the next rotation, the score cards can be held for a minute while we finish up the cross check. If we are completely confident that all the scores are correct, then we can trust the computers to sort them and spit out event awards and AAs correctly.

What kind of format do you use? Modified traditional or modified capital cup?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back