WAG How to soften new grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pamred4

Coach
Gymnast
Yesterday I got new resisport dowl grips (for uneven bars) and i was wondering if anyone has any tips for "softening" them. I have tried rolling them around the dowl like it said on YouTube but it didn't really work! Any ideas would help! Thanks

Use them for the basic bar skills and then switch to your old grips. Try that for 4-5 bar sessions on the next level of difficulty.

If that doesn't work you can try giving them to your pet dog to chew on....... just joking.

Roll them between your hands as much as you can stand to, and at least you'll end up with stronger hands and wrists.

All you have to do is twist them like you are ringing out a wet rag. Be sure to be careful as it is quite easy to rip the stitching of the dowel and the wrist strap area. The grips will soften quickly...don't too it too much.

I have "broken" in a couple of pairs for my dd. She says they are broken in just like her old ones.
I spend a lot of time rolling them - little bit by little bit. Back and forth - back and forth. I do them while I watch TV. My fingers are almost raw by the time I am done but it works.
My dd has the same grips resisport w dowl

Takes...about 30 seconds per grip...just twist them.

Yesterday I got new resisport dowl grips (for uneven bars) and i was wondering if anyone has any tips for "softening" them. I have tried rolling them around the dowl like it said on YouTube but it didn't really work! Any ideas would help! Thanks

you don't soften them. you practice in them and break them in. don't mess with the grips in any other way.

you don't soften them. you practice in them and break them in. don't mess with the grips in any other way.

Disagree...takes forever...waste of time. Never have done it this way...never will...twist them.

everyone in our program goes on the boys high bar. takes about 2 days of practice.

when i see "soften" i think of all the stories i know of where the dads put linament oil, vaseline, etc; on the grips as they would their sons baseball mitts cause they're made of leather.

and cleaning people that polish the bars...just want to make sure this poster doesn't do anything to harm the grip or themselves.

everyone in our program goes on the boys high bar. takes about 2 days of practice.

Interesting idea...would definitely work much faster than a girls rail. Don't you use US Glove though...they basically come ready to go.

All you have to do is twist them like you are ringing out a wet rag. Be sure to be careful as it is quite easy to rip the stitching of the dowel and the wrist strap area. The grips will soften quickly...don't too it too much.

i know of this, but the dads do it invariably and DO pull the stitching out. i've seen this at my own gym.

Interesting idea...would definitely work much faster than a girls rail. Don't you use US Glove though...they basically come ready to go.

yes, but the elite grips take a little more work. it takes a couple days.

Yes...guess I have to watch what I type online. I have ruined a couple of pair...but I have the power to give them a new pair when I screw up.

yes, they are thicker. and they last longer. and they must be big bar workers either men or women.

Looks like they are modeled after Bailie grips...did you used to use Bailie?

we've tried them ALL. US Glove uses the best leather in my opinion.

Reisport, wet them, chalk them, boys high bar. for first day. 2nd day, repeat, but start kipping on the low bar. 3rd day, giants. 4th day free hips etc... I don't try to soften the grips, I like to shape them instead. Also wetting them and folding them to the shape you want them in for over night is helpful. (use the velcro to hold the fold in place).

you do NOT wet them overnight. dry rot sets in when they are not in use like during a practice when they dry.

talk to Steve Rybacki about wetting them overnight. or Jack Carter. they will tell you "NO" based on experience and some certain lawsuits that they are aware of.

you do NOT wet them overnight. dry rot sets in when they are not in use like during a practice when they dry.

talk to Steve Rybacki about wetting them overnight. or Jack Carter. they will tell you "NO" based on experience and some certain lawsuits that they are aware of.
==
Dry rot will not set in after wetting them the first night...... Multiple nights, weeks, months, sure..... Day one to get them shaped, no...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back