How would I twist this thing, another confused soul about twist direction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I have a question maybe Dunno will know this. I do T&T and we do a move called a half in half out, it is a back half into a front tuck with a barani out. I was told the twist has to go the same direction so if my is the way it is would it be the same direction? I know you don't twist with your shoulders but using them to explain I would do the back half turning my left shoulder first and the half out turning towards my left shoulder again. Here is my barani direction it is a double mini pass it is all I have as far as a barani video YouTube - ‪Baraini back straight‬‏ and here is my back full YouTube - ‪back full 2‬‏ (Please don't be harsh on me these videos were taken like 1.5 years ago. I don't know if this one is nessary but here is my front full YouTube - ‪Front full 5/25 3‬‏ so basically how is this half in half out going to work for me? Here is a video of someone doing a half in half out.YouTube - ‪half in half out‬‏ Any help would be terrific!

Hope this helps, but I'm no expert, so you might want to wait for someone else to comment. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

If I was coaching, I'd expect to see your stomach in the first half twist and your back in the 2nd - so for example in your video of your straight back full, I see your stomach as you go into the half twist. As you kick out from the barani, I should see your back, and you should be thinking "I need to kick out towards the beams"
The video of the man doing the half in half out twists the same way that you need to.

If you do turn towards your left shoulder, then you should be twisting left both ways. Can you do a front tuck full and front pike full rather than a barani? Double back, double front, double arabian, front half back out? To me those would all be prerequisites for starting this skill, as well as strong front and back twisting (probably able to twist past a full both front and back).

I have a question maybe Dunno will know this. I do T&T and we do a move called a half in half out, it is a back half into a front tuck with a barani out. I was told the twist has to go the same direction so if my is the way it is would it be the same direction? I know you don't twist with your shoulders but using them to explain I would do the back half turning my left shoulder first and the half out turning towards my left shoulder again. Here is my barani direction it is a double mini pass it is all I have as far as a barani video YouTube - ‪Baraini back straight‬‏ and here is my back full YouTube - ‪back full 2‬‏ (Please don't be harsh on me these videos were taken like 1.5 years ago. I don't know if this one is nessary but here is my front full YouTube - ‪Front full 5/25 3‬‏ so basically how is this half in half out going to work for me? Here is a video of someone doing a half in half out.YouTube - ‪half in half out‬‏ Any help would be terrific!

you know i'm there when you need me.:)

simply, if you arabian to the right you will barani out/round off out left. a left round off/barani out is a right twist. remember, you must see the persons stomach on the way 1/2 in, and their back on the 1/2 way out.

just reverse for left arabian. then right barani out/right round off because right barani is left twist.

and if you see the persons stomach on the way in and their stomach on the way out then you have what we called in the ole days "1/2 in fake out". same if you see back then back. in order for it to be a full twisting double you must see both sides of the body.

by the way, if you're inclined, take a spoon and go thru the skill/motions. this visual is very helpful for those trying to figure this out.:)

okay, now...i just watched some of your videos.

1. shows you running up to the double mini. as you can see, when you barani we can see your stomach. this means right twist.

2. then there is you bouncing on the double mini and taking off from the bouncing. you then perform a front full to the left. you can first see your back and then your stomach as you finish.

3. you are bouncing on the trampoline and then perform a layout with a full twist. you first see your stomach and then your back as you finish. this is a left twist. and the opposite of #1.

4. then you see the boy bouncing on the trampoline. you first see his stomach and then his back. he is performing a 1/2 in 1/2 out to the left. left arabian in and right barani/round off out.

now you'll ask....which way should i go? it's hard to say really. but whatever you do you want a full twist.

Thank you to everyone and thanks Dunno, I knew you would come through ;) I am fairly sure it will be just like the boys in the video, as my back full (and back half) go left and I guess I barani twist right. So if that is what he is doing that is what I will be doing. Granted you are saying he is doing the half in LEFT and the half out part RIGHT correct? And my barani is to the right then? This twisting thing is so confusing! One more thing if my fulls are left front and back should I be doing the barani's the other direction or are they okay?

no, aerial river.

the boy in the video is doing it correctly. left twist in to the arabian and right barani out. a right barani twists left.

you say your back twist goes left. and it shows this in your video. this means that you would have to right barani out. a right barani twists left.

now, you showed that you could do a front full twisting left. BUT...you also showed a left barani which is a RIGHT twist.

so, you must make a decision as to which you would be more comfortable doing.

1. perform your arabian [back 1/2] to the right. that way, when you perform your left barani [right twist] you will be twisting to the right on the way out.

2. perform your arabian [back 1/2] to the left which is something you already know how to do. it would be easier to barani out the opposite direction than it would be to learn an arabian double front the opposite way.

3. so, keep it to the left on take off. and learn the barani out the opposite way. this means a right barani. you already showed a front full to the left. you know HOW to twist left. but a "barani" and a front full have different orientation. understand?

4. so, you should learn a tuck front 1/2 twisting to the left. than have someone pull you in a belt to perform double front tuck then 1/2 out left. this is called a barani out. once you understand and orientate yourself, you'll be able to perform arabian to the left...double front tuck... 1/2 out left. doing it this way would have you performing it the same as the boy in the video.:)

if you understand and follow this it is sequential. feel free to ask again if you don't follow. this is difficult to explain in this media. that's why i asked for the spoon to be used. the spoon is visual.:)

Okay me and my spoon are having a good time :eek:, I think I am unable to grasp the concept, although I will keep trying. I wanted to ask you this, here is a video of my half out YouTube - ‪MOV00838‬‏ (disregard that it is a terrible one) which way is it twisting out? Is this the proper way if I do a back left twist in? I am sorry I know I am annoying.

yes, yes, yes! you are performing a barani out twisting left!! did not know you could do that until now. this is what i explained in #4 above.

now, how will you do 1/2 in 1/2 out? pulled in a belt? or you could use that double mini with your back facing the pit. 3 or 4 bounces and cut for it in to the pit.

so, you will twist left going in to the arabian front then 2nd front tuck 1/2 out. have someone stand on your left side. they must see your stomach going in and your back coming out. as you can see in your video, you see your back coming out.

and by the way, that was a pretty good barani out NOT "a terrible one".:)

Okay, think I get it finally. Thank you! We dont have a belt so it is just progressions then trying it into the pit.

Last question, promise. I get it now, but everytime I do a barani by itself I twist right, the half out, back and front full and rudi all go left but for some reason the right single barani feels normal. So do I need to change it?

My opinion would be yes. There are scenarios where it'd cause all tons of problems.

(Sidenote: I bet you roundoff left, huh? And that the barani concept was at one point presented as "kind of like a roundoff"?"

Yes and yes. I do roundoff left and when I was a child and first learned a barani off the beam my coach told me it was a roundoff with no hands. No ones has caught it. Here is a strange video example I found YouTube - ‪MOV00720‬‏ you can see on my barani ballout I twist left and on my rudi at the end I twist left but on all 3 of the other baranis I twist right. I almost wish I didn't know now as I have been doing it for 3 years and am now working level 10. I don't want it to be a huge setback but I honestly have no idea how I would go about correcting it. Any ideas? :(

If a level 9 pushing 10 walked into my gym with this issue, we'd do an awful lot of baranis in all positions every practice to fix it. Waaaay back to position-kick-turn. Then we'd do all those popular combinations again (back straight barani straight etc). And THEN we would only do partial routines until each one was in muscle memory correctly. It'd be repetitive but it'd fix the problem.

aerialriver, please just ignore what you have done in the past. STOP looking. you said you want to do a 1/2 in 1/2 out.

you twist your back full left. you twist your double front 1/2 out to the left. (it's called a barani out...not which way YOU barani).

so, as i stated in the other post. go to the double mini with your BACK FACING THE PIT. have someone stand on your LEFT SIDE so that they can tell you that they see your stomach on the 1/2 in and your back on the 1/2 out. or just place a video camera on your left and watch yourself.

perform 1/2 in to the double front twisting left. then front 1/2 out of the 2nd front twisting left as you do in the video where you showed double front 1/2 out to the left. again, this is called a barani out...not the way YOU barani.

your "barani" is a no handed left round in the air. understand? a left barani twists RIGHT!

but your double front 1/2 out (again, called a barani out...but not YOUR barani) twists to the left. that's what you want because it is consistent with your left twisting back full.

whew...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back