WAG I have a meet coming up with hurt chest & iffy skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I have a meet coming up in about a week. Recently I developed costochondritis, which is basically inflamed chest. I've been out of gymnastics for 2 weeks, and my skills on beam (and like 1 on bars) are iffy. What do you suggest I do at home to help? I have 3 practices left before the meet, so I need to work at home.

You can go to those three practices and if you feel back to normal by the time the meet comes around, you can compete as usual. There isn't much to be done at home beyond like level 2/3.

If not, scratch the meet, or at least whichever events are iffy. Two weeks out is a long time in gymnastics, especially right before a meet. You don't want to push yourself to do skills you aren't confident about, especially in a competition setting where the equipment is unfamiliar and you have such a short warm-up time. You probably have at least a few more meets this season so it isn't the be all end all to compete all 4 events this week.

You can go to those three practices and if you feel back to normal by the time the meet comes around, you can compete as usual. There isn't much to be done at home beyond like level 2/3.

If not, scratch the meet, or at least whichever events are iffy. Two weeks out is a long time in gymnastics, especially right before a meet. You don't want to push yourself to do skills you aren't confident about, especially in a competition setting where the equipment is unfamiliar and you have such a short warm-up time. You probably have at least a few more meets this season so it isn't the be all end all to compete all 4 events this week.
I can't edit the original, but I was only out for 1 week - the other week the gym was closed for Christmas. :D

I can't edit the original, but I was only out for 1 week - the other week the gym was closed for Christmas. :D

2 weeks off of gymnastics, even if it's not for an injury, is a lot of time to be out of practice. That's why I say, go to those three practices and see where you're at. If your skills are still iffy, scratch that event. Also - what does your coach say about this? They are the first person to turn to for questions like "am I ready to compete?"

So I have a meet coming up in about a week. Recently I developed costochondritis, which is basically inflamed chest. I've been out of gymnastics for 2 weeks, and my skills on beam (and like 1 on bars) are iffy. What do you suggest I do at home to help? I have 3 practices left before the meet, so I need to work at home.

you should wait until you heal and the Doc clears you. waht you have can get worse if you don't rest and pace properly.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I spoke with my coach and he said I was okay to compete, but if I was feeling nervous I didn't have to compete on every event. I also checked with my doctor and she said that I was fine too. Thanks!

2 weeks off of gymnastics, even if it's not for an injury, is a lot of time to be out of practice. That's why I say, go to those three practices and see where you're at. If your skills are still iffy, scratch that event. Also - what does your coach say about this? They are the first person to turn to for questions like "am I ready to compete?"
Our gym closes down for two weeks over Christmas. We have 3 practices the first week in January, then we have a meet that Saturday.
Being out of the gym for two weeks doesn't necessarily mean anything. Some of our girls have their best meets after time off.
To OP, since you have doctor and coach approval, do you have any "back pocket" skills you could do instead?

Our gym closes down for two weeks over Christmas. We have 3 practices the first week in January, then we have a meet that Saturday.
Being out of the gym for two weeks doesn't necessarily mean anything. Some of our girls have their best meets after time off.
To OP, since you have doctor and coach approval, do you have any "back pocket" skills you could do instead?

There is a local gym (DD does privates there) that closes for close to three weeks at Christmas- rec, team, privates, everything. Their first meet is in the beginning of January and their team typically does very well. They are an xcel only gym, though, having decided to drop JO a few years ago. The hc (who does my DDs privates) told us that the girls have no problem picking back up, and their bodies are refreshed. This would never work for my DD (she didn't even want that long off privates so we searched out an open gym), but it must work for some.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back