in a FLY AWAY, how do you know if youre gonna land, when you spin so quick?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

is it just memorizing the timing? i mean, yes, i am a coach, but i coach just rec. ive been practicing my flyaway at coaches open gym night (tuesday/thursday nights) and i just practice it on the high bar over the foam pit. i dont have trouble landing upright/on my feet IN the pit, but im nervous about trying it without the pit. im nervous that i will freak out and not have the confidence to land it without the pit, and will fall on my neck or something! yes, i would do it with a spotter, but i feel like it would be hard to spot someone in a flyaway if they freak out in mid-air! :/

I actually learned my flyaway onto mats first and was terrified of doing it in the pit for the longest time! If I were you I would put a sting mat in the pit and not really focus on the landing but get used to there being something there besides foam. Then I would put an 8 incher in the pit and once I was comfortable with landing on that, go to the real bars. It's not very hard; your body should just know what to do.

With any gymnast, we would have already developed plenty of aerial awareness through training back handsprings besides standing backs and backs on trampoline.

Back drop to back flip to stomach, feet, as well as handstand.

Once they are aware, it's less of a problem. If they aren't, well it's gonna be a huge problem.

And of course, a competent spotter that can save you as an adult. Or double-spot.

Perhaps you shouldn't spin so fast?

If you do a fly away "correctly," you aren't really spinning terribly fast. If the world is a blur, you might be doing any number of things - throwing your head back, tucking early, etc... without a video it would be hard to say.

Even double fly aways that look like they spin super fast from the outside are subject to perspective. From inside, spotting the floor, or a wall, is trainable, and part of the development for competing the skill. If you are lost, how will you know when to kick out for the landing?

Some coaches teach "feel." Some coaches teach visual cues. Some teach both (I teach both, personally). Try and blend training techniques.. work on back tumbling where you spot the ground, and feel the rotation. Try to spot the ground when you do them in a pit. The world will begin to slow down when you stop feeling like you're moving so fast.

Good luck!!

Ryan

during a flyaway,,,always look down after your spin so you don't get lost and you know where you are.

try to understand that it is only a 1/2 somersault. because of angular momentum, and once you release and keep a level head, it is very difficult TO NOT land on your feet. really, they are just not that difficult.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back