Is it possible?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
I've always liked Chellsie Memmel and after her petition to nationals was denied I was devastated. She really is a soldier of the sport. Considering how she's pushed through all the injuries and set backs I really hope she pushes through this one. At 24 it seems like her body should be done, at least in gymnastics terms. Do any of you think she could push it to 28 and make the 2016 olympics or has her time come?

There is no reason why her body should be done at 24. A females body does not reach the peakmofnphysical fitness until late 20's and early 30's. The only reason gymnasts bodies don't seem to last is because the physically grueling training usually can't be done day in and day out for 10 years. Elite athletes train on average 36 hours a week. When that happens for years and years the body forces its owner to take a break. Also by mid twenties one starts to need to do other things in life like maintain a job to make a living which is next to impossible with a training schedule like that.

The sport is not designed to be for the long term. But many people have defied that. Look at Oksana Chuistnovita she in her 30's is one of the top gymnasts in the world. Many US athletes have competed at the international level far beyond their 24th birthday too.

Chellsie officially retired from elite gymnastics after Classics this year. She will be doing the Kellogs's tour and going to college soon. Unfortunately, she has had repeated shoulder and other injurys. After twelve years of elite gymnasatics her body can't take the pounding. She will not be the US version of Chuso.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back