WAG Judges? Can someone comment on the L3 floor routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If I were judging, I can see the first routine going as high as 9.3, and the second routine as high as a 9.1. It looks like a case that the first routine is really only .2 to .3 tenths better, but the first meet was scoring high and the second meet was scoring a little bit low. Tell your daughter not to get discouraged. She's lovely.

Thank you.

I realize now your comment was directed to judges, let me clarify, I am not one!

But to me, eying them, that's what I see. :)

It is crazy-making. My DD went from an 8.575 in her first L4 meet to a 9.725 at states. I can see one big deduction in her low score, but otherwise I can't tell the rest of the problems. It's tough to not medal, but I think it also teaches a valuable lesson.

Looking at the videos, not pointing toes probably did get her tenthed to death, unfortunately. And not sticking a rebound is a major deduction, because at DD's first meet, she had a huge bobble coming out of the FHS.

Your DD does have a bright future! :)

Last edited:
She IS pointing her toes. In fact, it looks like she's trying really hard to point those toes. She ISNT pointing her feet. Make sure she knows that, when someone says "point your toes", they really mean "point your feet" If it's been an ongoing issue, then probably she does know this, but sometimes the way it's phrased does make all the difference.

Great routines, both of them. DD had something similar happen on beam. Meet before states: 9.275, States: 8.65. I actually thought the routine at States looked better. But one set of judges gave her credit for connecting her series and the other set didn't, even though she had just the tiniest wobble in both series. It is what it is.

She IS pointing her toes. In fact, it looks like she's trying really hard to point those toes. She ISNT pointing her feet. Make sure she knows that, when someone says "point your toes", they really mean "point your feet" If it's been an ongoing issue, then probably she does know this, but sometimes the way it's phrased does make all the difference.

Great routines, both of them. DD had something similar happen on beam. Meet before states: 9.275, States: 8.65. I actually thought the routine at States looked better. But one set of judges gave her credit for connecting her series and the other set didn't, even though she had just the tiniest wobble in both series. It is what it is.

Okay, that makes sense. I could see that her feet were very arched and it wasn't quite right.

I'd say her feet were the major problem. I can see it in the first video, she never really pushes through her toes and points in jumps/leaps/chasses or when she lifts her leg. It could be considered borderline so I guess the judge that day was lenient, at states scoring can be harsher to separate the exceptional from the excellent. She stretches her feet into her handstand skills, but generally her feet look relaxed. She knows to point in some skills, but is not naturally inclined or trained (had it drummed in) to point and have tension in everything .
+1! Body tension, posture and feet changes(tight pointed legs/feet) and artistry application in dance movements would make it a much improved routine.

My opinion, is that the scores are what I would expect in the situation you described. As I sit at my coaches desk this afternoon, I have the first routine at a 9.1 and the second routine at a 8.4. The second routine the changes in the split jump, shoulders in the bridge kick-over, and the last pass (R/O BHS rebound), dynamics are the major differences. In getting the score I worked thru the L3 FX Exercise Table of Penalties and recall the discussions at our State Comp. Meeting July'13 when the judges worked thru some L3 sample routines judging them before they were tested (as judges). I "re-judge" many of our athletes routines to check both my understanding, the application of code and to benefit my coaching of our athletes. Where I am going is that I am a tough critic - I like our gymnasts and hence I am tough. I am typically lower than most judges.

I like my gymnasts and hence I am exacting, SBG -

Thank you, SBG! You ARE tough.:) But that's good, this way you give more realistic expectations. DD's coach was actually pretty pleased with that first routine, said with a couple more tweaks she could even get a 9.7. That's why I was so shocked to see a 8.6 a week later.
Well, hopefully they can fix some of those problems next year. I hear L4 floor routine is much more complicated than L3.

Thank you, SBG! You ARE tough.:) But that's good, this way you give more realistic expectations. DD's coach was actually pretty pleased with that first routine, said with a couple more tweaks she could even get a 9.7. That's why I was so shocked to see a 8.6 a week later.
Well, hopefully they can fix some of those problems next year. I hear L4 floor routine is much more complicated than L3.

You are very welcome. I give a "Coaches Corner Mtg for the past few years, after the first L3-4 meet, for parents and prepare myself to judge a routine in front of the parents to give meaning to the details of a given score. I do this not to validate the judges hard work, but to show the objectivity/real detailed evaluative skills in the score. As I go thru it, the faces of the parents begin to show recognition and heads nod in agreement when they see the skills and the ideal performance in comparison.

The details DO MATTER! Mastering the details carry to the next level.

The next level FX routine is harder. Tumbling (front and back), back extensions, leaps, jumps, turns and dance is more difficult. If she has mastered the L3 skills, routine, dance and performed them well - L4 should be fun. Hard is FUN!

Yell if you wish for more details, but your DD's coach can do exactly the same as I have but equipped with knowledge of your DD.

BTW: A USA-G Coach who is master L3-5 coach rules! All gyms see these hard working experts as mission critical. If you have an above average one - bring them a special cup of coffee and say thanks. They are very valuable and need much recognition.

Best, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back