WAG Judges? Can someone comment on the L3 floor routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IreneKa

Proud Parent
I know it's only level 3, and it doesn't matter in the long run, but I'm just curious.

A week ago DD had a meet and scored 9.5 on this floor routine:

Then this weekend she had States, and got 8.6:

I know she was nervous, because it's States. And she was upset, because they started on beam, and she fell. I can spot a few errors, but 8.6? Was it really that bad? Were the judges too harsh? Or last week's judge was too generous?

Thanks!

I'm not a judge, but I can see several small things in the second video--I'm guessing she got tenth-ed to death on the routine. And many times judges are tougher at State than regular meets. How did the score compare with others? Were they tough on everyone?

I agree. I'm no judge; but I can see several things easily that would have gotten deductions in the 2nd routine that wouldn't have in the 1st. (like the front to not pointed in the split.) Just write it off to nerves and be happy to be done. :)

I am also not a judge, yet, but I am working on becoming one. I did see some small errors in the second video that I didn't see in the first, such as her crookedness on handstand-bridge-kickover, her turn, and tumbling.

In our area, we have noticed that the last meet before State (sort of a last chance meet) usually produces higher scores than your average weekend meet. For example, our compulsories just competed this weekend in their last meet before State and the scores were phenomenal. One level 3 scored over a 38. This girl is good, but she had never scored over a 36 before and 38 at compulsories are almost unheard of around here. There were many other very high scores across all levels. It's a pattern I've noticed for several years. Not saying that's what happened in your area, but just something to consider.

Also, as another poster stated, judging is often harder at states. They sometimes take the full "up to" deductions on each error. Just wondering, do you have 2 or 4 judges on each event at state?

The first one is crisper than the second, straighter than the second (bridge, half turn, etc), and the leaps are bigger than the second. I'd imagine the scores should be a smidge closer together, but the first score is too high.

Also, as another poster stated, judging is often harder at states. They sometimes take the full "up to" deductions on each error. Just wondering, do you have 2 or 4 judges on each event at state?

There were 2 judges on each event. The scores were weird. Some girls who usually score in low 9s got low 8s, while others got about the same as usual. One girl had 9.5 a week before, and 9.55 at state, but she is the one who always scores high.

Interesting observation about last meet before states. Most of our girls had good scores at that meet. I just assumed they all got better. :)

Sometimes the judges seem to know that the last meet before states is the last chance to qualify . . . and some kids need a little confidence building before the big show . . . :)

Our states seemed to be judged harder too. Pre-States my daughter missed her dismount (L3 - the 1/4 twist), twice, which counted as a fall (.5 deduction) and received an 8.3 and an 8.9. At States, she had no falls, and got 7.9. Now I know she was nervous, but even her coach thought it was a little severe.

I'm not a judge, but I liked watching both videos ;)

Our states seemed to be judged harder too. Pre-States my daughter missed her dismount (L3 - the 1/4 twist), twice, which counted as a fall (.5 deduction) and received an 8.3 and an 8.9. At States, she had no falls, and got 7.9. Now I know she was nervous, but even her coach thought it was a little severe.

I'm not a judge, but I liked watching both videos ;)

Wow, that's harsh! DD had two falls (one on dismount), and got 7.7.

Dear OP,
You are going to drive yourself insane comparing routines etc.. :) Just enjoy the meets.

Dear OP,
You are going to drive yourself insane comparing routines etc.. :) Just enjoy the meets.

I understand. It's just a little hard to enjoy the meet when your child is the only one on her team to come out without a medal. :)

The first one was better, but she looks great in both. I know what you mean. All those little tenths of a point are a mystery to me. The girl who went before DD on floor at states looked kind of sloppy to me and visibly stumbled, but she got a tenth of a point higher. coachp is right. It's just crazy making, unlike soccer where is a goal is a goal.

yep...makes you crazy trying to compare. Kipper's best beam routine this year was an 8.9 but her best score was 9.1. Best routine received 2nd place...everyone's score was just low that day.
I agree the two routines would not have been nearly a full point apart if judged by the same judges on the same day. However, unless you switch to soccer, it just seems to come with the territory.

BTW.. your dd is solid and had great routines. :)

I am not a judge, she had just minor errors. One specifically that stood out for me was not sticking her landing after her robhs...and point those toes. These are the fun levels....enjoy it! :D

And sometimes it's all about what the judges are looking for that particular day. DD (also L3) had a really solid floor routine at state and still only scored an 8.975. Come to find out the judges were looking for amplitude in the jumps/leaps. *shrug* It is what it is. You won't remember it at all this time next year.

I'd say her feet were the major problem. I can see it in the first video, she never really pushes through her toes and points in jumps/leaps/chasses or when she lifts her leg. It could be considered borderline so I guess the judge that day was lenient, at states scoring can be harsher to separate the exceptional from the excellent. She stretches her feet into her handstand skills, but generally her feet look relaxed. She knows to point in some skills, but is not naturally inclined or trained (had it drummed in) to point and have tension in everything .

I did not score anywhere near an 8.6 when I was an old level 4. I think my coach would have bought me a puppy if I did. But I still managed to have a 9+ year relatively successful gymnastics career after that.

An 8.6 is a great score to be your DD's lowest score on an event. Your DD looks great and she has a long, enjoyable career ahead of her! Best of luck!

I'd say her feet were the major problem. I can see it in the first video, she never really pushes through her toes and points in jumps/leaps/chasses or when she lifts her leg. It could be considered borderline so I guess the judge that day was lenient, at states scoring can be harsher to separate the exceptional from the excellent. She stretches her feet into her handstand skills, but generally her feet look relaxed. She knows to point in some skills, but is not naturally inclined or trained (had it drummed in) to point and have tension in everything .

Thank you! This makes perfect sence.
And yes, I know her toes is our curse. Lol She used to do dance, and all I heard from her dance teacher was that she doesn't point her toes. Now the same with gymnastics.

Your DD is beautiful and elegant, pointed toes or not :) She has very pretty arms, and her routine is very lovely.

I have found scoring from meet to meet to be "off" by as much as .5 per event. Don't sweat it.

If she is moving up, she can forget about it, and if she repeats, she'll surely medal next time around.

If I were judging, I can see the first routine going as high as 9.3, and the second routine as high as a 9.1. It looks like a case that the first routine is really only .2 to .3 tenths better, but the first meet was scoring high and the second meet was scoring a little bit low. Tell your daughter not to get discouraged. She's lovely.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back