Jump to high bar?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
My dd has gone through a pretty big growth spurt (at least for a gymnast) and is almost about 5ft 1 in. She is level 8-9. They have moved the bars in closer as she will be competing a shootover this year. Here is the problem. When she jumps to the high bar, she ends up catching the bar and is all arched and it seems like when her hands catch the bar, her shoulders and stomach are already under the bar and her feet are arched behind her. I don't know if I am making any sense or explaining this clearly, but she just about has no swing out of the jump to high bar. Seems like it should be easy to fix, but she is struggling with it. Any advise would be appreciated.

she'll learn to adjust and 'jump down' to get to the high bar versus 'jumping up or at' the high bar. right now, it's probably not important to the coaches. their working on the bail swing. don't 'watch' her when she practices would be my advice.:)

Thanks Dunno! I think you are right, stop watching. I went to pick her up about 10 min early last night and it looked real ugly. They didn't do a lot between the real bars over the summer, and now she is struggling, even with giants after growing. I'm sure she will adjust. She has a great coach, I am sure he is addressing what needs to be addressed. However, it is always great to hear your take on gymnastics. It reassures us parents who dont have much of a clue.

Hello,
I had a growth spurt and I am now almost 5'4". I had the same issue and it just took time for me to figure it out. The problem for me and maybe for your dd is that you don't really have to jump to reach the bar and so you just lean over and grab it so your feet end up behind you which causes an arch.
What I have learned to do is to just jump slightly so you can pull your toes in front to create a hollow. As I said it just takes time to figure out so I wouldn't worry too much.
Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back