Parents Kip help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Byram78

Proud Parent
My daughter is 10, and trying so hard to get her kip. She seems to have a problem with the final part “getting over the bar” any tips? Attached are two videos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I’m a 12 year old Xcel Silver who just got their kip a few months ago! I can totally relate to her issue. I am no coach but I have worked with my coach to get my Kip quite a lot. I watched the videos and she is so close! Here are some things she could try that could potentially help. First of all keeping her head in. She did a pretty good job but she should make sure her head is looking at her feet or the bar. The main problem I see is her wrists. If you don’t shift your wrists all the way over the bar at the end, it will cause you to push away from the bar. I’m not sure what level she is but I have heard that training it without grips first in beneficial for practicing the shift. One last recommendation I had is thinking about this during the Kip. First, get your feet to the bar and keep them there as long as possible. Once they start to drop, bring them down as fast as possible so you can whip your body over the bar. Good luck to her and I hope this helped a little!

Here is a classic series...

Here is another good one...

I found this really helpful to explain the physics to her.
(her old coach was not helpful)

Reactions: JBS
Looks pretty good - she is not making any large mistakes. seems to me like she just needs some time to get the rhythm. any day now :)

She just needs strengthening in her arms to push down on that bar and getting up on the bar . But it looks good!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back