Parents Kip question...you guys love kip questions right???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kcanflip

Proud Parent
So my daughter is a competing level 3 but is working on kip training when there is a break between meets and tries to do a few before practices as time permits. She's got a good glide for her level 3 routine, but when it comes to trying to glide then kip, her form goes out the window. She tends to forget completely about the glide and just tries to get her legs to the bar. It's pretty ugly. Hitting feet on mat, not completing a full glide, bent legs, etc. With her Coaches, she maintains better form but is being spotted. Admittedly, she is not your naturally talented gymnast and form is always an issue with her. Especially the bent legs. The girls legs just seem to want to be bent! But hey, she loves the sport and is having fun so we persevere!

So yesterday, after attempting a few glide kips (oh so not pretty) she was standing at the low bar and just kind of jumped slightly to a hang and then brought her legs to the bar and was able to kip up....quite a bit of muscle up but she did it. I was shocked. Does this mean she has the strength and ability to glide kip, but is just lacking putting the pretty glide and the kipping action together due to timing or not maintaining her form or completing a good glide?? When she did a kip attempt later in practice with her coach watching, she seemed to get closer than before, so hoping maybe she got the 'feel' of the kipping part and now realizes that it actually takes some action on her part. I swear in the past she almost just expected it to happen magically, without her having to do a whole lot on her end. I've told her it is definitely not a soft, pretty skill and takes her being a little aggressive!

Guess I'm just a little excited that she 'might' be close. Not sure how long it take to get a kip consistently with pretty form. We are in Texas so we compete 2 times per year...USAG and then TAAF. She will most likely compete level 3 still for TAAF which starts end of January. And thinking the 9 months between now and next USAG season might be good for her if she gets it now, as she can clean it up and perfect it before competing. Plus, there is that whole cartwheel on beam thing....blah!

Most kip issues are timing issues. Coach once told me that once they 'feel' it, they've got it! Good Luck! We are in TX too, DD competes L4 so we have state in about a week, but after that we are moving to L5 for invitational season. We don't compete TAAF. Additionally, I feel DD makes greatest strides in skills during summer. I feel confident she will have it before August!

Ah...I remember that "She's GOT it!" feeling. Followed immediately by the "She's NOT got it" feeling. Kips make you bipolar.

My DD (9 yo and L3) made her first kip in the spring. We're still waiting for it to be consistent. (Let's not even get in to straight arms yet.) Some girls get their kips quickly, some don't. But I think most people agree that kips come and kips go and it can take MONTHS before your gymmie is getting them consistently.

So grab your favorite Mommy drink and come have a seat by me. We'll hold our breaths together as we wait to see if it's a good kip day.

She needs to go up as high as she can with straight arms and legs, until she makes it, even if it takes a half year.

At gym now and she almost had one...so I guess she did get the 'feel' of it a bit. Whoo hoo! Looking forward to that first one but not the journey to consistently doing it that follows.

Take a video of her kip at the next practice. I guarantee you will go back and watch it often.

Funny story...
One girl on Kipper's team was still "this close" to her kip before the first meet. The coach even joked about feeding her beans to get a little extra punch! During warm ups at our meet, she got her first kip ever, on the low bar. She was so excited, and did her first high bar kip during her competition routine! It was the highlight of the meet! Next week at practice.... kip was gone again. Her parents have a great perspective. They have an older L9 dd. She was the last in her group to kip, and the only one still in gymnastics.

My DD was the first to get her kip in January and still had a slump where she lost it. She's got it back though, and nice and pretty.

I'll be eagerly awaiting Monday night to see if it makes an appearance again. Fingers crossed. And definitely will have a video camera ready so I can document it. Otherwise it might kind of be like a reported Big Foot sighting! I swear I saw it.....it was right there....as plain as day....ha ha.

I'll be eagerly awaiting Monday night to see if it makes an appearance again. Fingers crossed. And definitely will have a video camera ready so I can document it. Otherwise it might kind of be like a reported Big Foot sighting! I swear I saw it.....it was right there....as plain as day....ha ha.

I swear this happened to practically every girl in DD's group...a girl would finally get a couple kips, girl would get SUPER excited to do it again at the next practice.....and then couldn't do it again for a while. RELAX! The more uptight your DD is, the less likely she is to do it again.

ITA about getting the feel for it. DD had a coach actually manipulate her body to feel the proper positioning in each step of the kip. Just a few days later, she got it! Something clicked and she's kept it, even though she had a 6 week gym hiatus.

Like your DD, she tried to skip the glide and bring her legs right up to the bar. It sounds like she's on the right track!!!

Just a random side note, but if you are in the N. Texas area our daughters might possibly compete against each other TAAF :)

Just a random side note, but if you are in the N. Texas area our daughters might possibly compete against each other TAAF :)

Very possible! We are in district 2. For privacy purposes not going to disclose our gym. :p

Daughter tried kip again before practice and it did not make a reappearance. Dang it! But she was close and doing it without any cueing and in a jacket and pj bottoms over her leotard! Silly girl.

Luckily (I think?) she is indeed doing l3 for TAAF (only been l3 6 months) and has more time to master before level 4 and USAG. Kind of a relief as she is NEVER one to place and needs the time to work on her form and be ahead of the game and not behind for USAG.

Very possible! We are in district 2. For privacy purposes not going to disclose our gym. :p

Daughter tried kip again before practice and it did not make a reappearance. Dang it! But she was close and doing it without any cueing and in a jacket and pj bottoms over her leotard! Silly girl.

Luckily (I think?) she is indeed doing l3 for TAAF (only been l3 6 months) and has more time to master before level 4 and USAG. Kind of a relief as she is NEVER one to place and needs the time to work on her form and be ahead of the game and not behind for USAG.

I get it :) I have no idea what district we are in anyways. Is there a map or something that shows that?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back