WAG L3 bar score......video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

the pause between the glide swing and PO. She regripped her hands and stood too long. It should be a hop. Their should not be a full chin up position held before the PO.
Swing before the pull over.
Bent arms in FHC.
bent back leg in shoot threw.
Bent back leg in mill circle.
Few steps in landing dismount.

Other then that is was very nice! But just noting what I saw! :)

I asked coach, he said no deduction for pullover style.
.10 for lifting hands off bar befor PO
Bent arms on FHC
Bent legs at the end of the MC
Extra swing before the dismount.
He said the judges were being a bit silly, but hey, what are you gonna do.

I showed it to my DD (also a level 3). She said the pauses are one of the big things. There aren't supposed to be pauses. She also spotted a bent leg on the mill circle, bent arms on the FHC and obviously the steps on the dismount.

Her coaches have really been drilling the "no pauses" to them. Her bars coach is also a judge, so I'd guess that at least for routines that she judges, that is important.

DD got first place on Bars this weekend. It was a tough meet.
She did a very similar routine, she just was a bit cleaner. She did the same weird pullover, shoot through was better with one leg straight. She was still on the slower side, but they gave her a 9.575.
Overall the same routine.....judges are human and see things differently.

DD got first place on Bars this weekend. It was a tough meet.
She did a very similar routine, she just was a bit cleaner. She did the same weird pullover, shoot through was better with one leg straight. She was still on the slower side, but they gave her a 9.575.
Overall the same routine.....judges are human and see things differently.

It's possible she usually connects the leg cut cast though, which you might not notice much but is worth a lot. Again that would significantly raise the score and be a relatively small change. In the video you posted she did it cleanly and easily could have connected, but paused. I guessed if she usually scored higher, she usually connected. Since connection is 3 tenths, the rest of the routine would have to be virtually perfect to get a mid-9 missing one of the connections.

It isn't a bad routine. I'm sure that she probably didn't do that extra swing when she got the 9.60. And I can see a 9.30 with a better controlled mill circle. As I see it: Possible deductions
Insufficient extension on glide .05-.10, slight bend of elbows on the counter-swing .05
(she is allowed to stop and pullover OR punch into the pullover with no deduction)
Regrip of hands between the glide and pullover .10
Continuity of pullover .10
Pike in pullover .10
Rhythm between pullover and front hip .10 (connections between elements may be up to .20)
Bent arms in front hip .25-.30
Body shape in cast .10 for arch/ lack of tautness
Shoot through okay but needs more control and knees are soft, especially front knee .10-.15
Could also take rhythm here .05-.10
Mill circle okay but again knees are soft and there is a control issue at the end of it. .10-.15
Leg cut back okay except she ends in a pike instead of an extended front support .10
Extra swing .30 (watch when she drops down from the pike her there is a little pump cast before she actually casts)
Rhythm for breaking the connection .10-.20
Cast is okay but could be tighter and a little more hollow .05
Back Hip Circle slight pike .05
Underswing: head out of alignment .10, body shape .10 for arch. I thought height and distance were fine. She takes the step because her head was back on the underswing .10 for the step. (couldn't see how big it really was because of people's heads but if it was 2 feet then it would be .20)

So you see with all of that the score can really go down. In real time I would have had her in the high 8s also. Without the extra swing a low 9. Glad she'll be able to lose the front hip circle soon. ;)

I personally wouldn't be mad at the judge who gave the 8.90 but instead the judge who gave the 9.60 if she performed the exact same routine. We learn more from making mistakes than being perfect.

have you seen these tutorials on youtube? They might help.
They were especially helpful for me when I thought my daughter's beam routines were BEAUTIFUL until I realized she was dropping out of releve, not kicking high enough, etc. Lots of little details I wasn't looking for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back