WAG L4 fall on cartwheel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you complete the cartwheel and then fall, I believe it is .5....if your legs don't hit I believe it is a whole point, because you didn't hit the trick. Others want to chime in for assistance?:confused:

If you get at least one foot on, you get credit for the cartwheel & just lose .5 for the fall. If you don't get any feet on, you lose the value of the skill plus the fall, so 1.1.

Side note - if she fell without hitting either foot she won't lose all 1.1. She probably would only lose .8 or something, she should get some value since she performed some. Hence reason why in skills that need spotting at a meet the later you spot the better, more credit. Or at least that is YMCA

Side note - if she fell without hitting either foot she won't lose all 1.1. She probably would only lose .8 or something, she should get some value since she performed some. Hence reason why in skills that need spotting at a meet the later you spot the better, more credit. Or at least that is YMCA
They do get credit for the part of the skill performed, but they do not really get credit for a lunge and putting their hands on the beam when the skill is a cartwheel. They have to land at least 1 foot (so the judge "knows" what skill they were doing) to get partial credit. A fall without either foot touching is the fall plus the value of the skill.
But you are correct, the later the spot (when being spotted), the better. They will then get credit for the part of the skill performed on their own.

Only thing our 4s are spotted on would be bars.

I didn't see the routine but based on her usual beam performance she list .5-.8
It was SH.

I thought her scored was odd but the other parents were swearing she didn't fall. Turns out she did fall. Husband got more out of her tonight, she landed it lost it and fell, so that's a .5 I guess.

Only thing our 4s are spotted on would be bars.

I didn't see the routine but based on her usual beam performance she list .5-.8
It was SH.

I thought her scored was odd but the other parents were swearing she didn't fall. Turns out she did fall. Husband got more out of her tonight, she landed it lost it and fell, so that's a .5 I guess.
This is exactly what I thought happened...happened to my dd also. Thrice.

That darn cartwheel! It's starting to cause my DD a bit of fear out of nowhere... Scared to fall! First meet this weekend ... Fingers crossed thank you for this!! I'll hopefully understand her score a bit more come Saturday!

Ok, can I just say that the cartwheel was seriously the one and only level 4 trick we could count on when my dd was in this level? Obviously it didnt seem to 100 percent matter during the meets though in terms of cpunting on it, lol!!

It is so fascinating, exciting, and frustrating to watch our children ace something that you know they aren't 100 percent solid on...and then flub something they do 100 percent of the time in practice! This is what makes gymnastics so interesting.....o_O

Ok, can I just say that the cartwheel was seriously the one and only level 4 trick we could count on when my dd was in this level? Obviously it didnt seem to 100 percent matter during the meets though in terms of cpunting on it, lol!!

It is so fascinating, exciting, and frustrating to watch our children ace something that you know they aren't 100 percent solid on...and then flub something they do 100 percent of the time in practice! This is what makes gymnastics so interesting.....o_O

That's funny, because it is so true! My dd is a level 3. Last week after practice she told me that she used to be scared of the leap on beam, but didn't worry about it anymore, that she always landed it. The handstand and half turn were iffy though and they did worry her. The handstand is beautiful when it works, but about 1/3 of the time she bails out of it. So, in her first meet, what did she do? Nailed the handstand and, right when I was breathing a sigh of relief, fell on the leap. She did make her half turn though. :)

That darn cartwheel! It's starting to cause my DD a bit of fear out of nowhere... Scared to fall! First meet this weekend ... Fingers crossed thank you for this!! I'll hopefully understand her score a bit more come Saturday!
Oh, trust me.... I'm just like your daughter. I'm terrified to fall! She'll be fine, good luck!

My daughter competed 3 meets as a level 4 at the tail end of last year's season... She has always been strong on beam (beautiful if you ask me) but for whatever reason she's got herself psyched up about the cartwheel and handstand right now! ...And let's not even talk about her BHS... (She can do it on mid level beam with coach right there lightly spotting- coach pulls hand away and she balks... Frog legs and all... Ugly) good thing she has time for that skill to come together!

I chalk it up to growing pains in this sport!! We will see what Saturday brings...She usually has a pretty strong game face ... It's like a switch goes off!

That's funny, because it is so true! My dd is a level 3. Last week after practice she told me that she used to be scared of the leap on beam, but didn't worry about it anymore, that she always landed it. The handstand and half turn were iffy though and they did worry her. The handstand is beautiful when it works, but about 1/3 of the time she bails out of it. So, in her first meet, what did she do? Nailed the handstand and, right when I was breathing a sigh of relief, fell on the leap. She did make her half turn though. :)
Yes!! This is so true! :) Last year, I competed a handstand back handspring, and the week before the firs meet, I fell on every single one of them in practice. I thought for sure I was going down at the meet! When I stuck it without a wobble, I was ecstatic. Only to turn around and fall on the full turn... which I literally NEVER miss

Oh this has happened to me too... but on bars... I had a very nice kip cast.... then I go for a squat on and I fall, something that is rare for me to fall on. Then I proceed to high bar have another nice kip cast and let go of the bar in a bhc...

Guess this applies to bwo on beam too. Anyone know what the deduction would be for bwo attempt with bail (no feet on beam). Value of skill plus .5 for fall = ?? If you omit the skill completely is it also value of skill plus .5? Can you tell where my DD is struggling for l5 skills??? Ha ha

Guess this applies to bwo on beam too. Anyone know what the deduction would be for bwo attempt with bail (no feet on beam). Value of skill plus .5 for fall = ?? If you omit the skill completely is it also value of skill plus .5? Can you tell where my DD is struggling for l5 skills??? Ha ha
If you omit the skill, it is 2x the value of the skill. I THINK it is a 0.6 skill ... most major skills are 0.6. So going for it is better than omitting it if she is close, but not if she will definitely bail.
If the coach will spot... then if she can get her hands down before the coach touches her, it is better than being spotted through the whole thing.... even better if she can start the kicking over and the coach only helps spot the landing :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back