Parents Last Meet before States....still struggling with Vault Fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No ideas really but she does have the handspring vault through level 6 and 7 so plenty of time to sort out any problems. As she grows a little the vault will seems smaller and maybe less scary. Lots of girls struggle with different aspects of vault in level 5 and really own it by level 7 so don't worry. Tell her it isn't unusual. She is such a lovely little gymnast. Congrats on a great meet and sending the 'don't be scared fairies' for state. Good luck Sophia.

Her vaults look pretty good to me, especially for a little 7 or 8 yo. As she grows and does the vault more she will get more comfortable with it. As gymnut said, she has this vault for two more years and she will get better at it. Height and weight are big helps on vault. The older and bigger girls almost always score higher, but the little ones can score well once they learn to really block. The rest of her routines are beautiful - she is nearly perfect on floor! My dd is now tackling the yurchenko - talk about a scary vault - at least for Mom!

Thanks guys...it didn't help her best friend crashed last week at the meet and broke her foot right in front of her...OY VEY...din't help a bit.

Don't really have any advice since DD not training this yet. Just wanted to wish Sophia good luck wishes for her state meet coming up! She'll get it. :)

I didn't get a chance to watch video, but I've seen her before and she is amazing! Just wanted to say it did take my DD a good year to "get" this vault over the table as well. She was very frustrated at first after she medal'd at states in it as a L4. Happy to say she has found her "groove" again for vault and it is her favorite event again. Your lil cutie has plenty of time to find her groove too, it will be her vault thru to L7. Good Luck

She'll get it. Mine had lots of trouble with the vault until she grew a bit. As others said, she has through L7 to nail it down.
Sorry about the team-mate, and hope she recovers quickly. The memory of that will fade as your dd becomes more confident with her vault. How is the coach handling that? Have you told the coach that seeing that has affected your dd? If not, I would. Maybe the coach could take a llittle time to talk to your dd about how the injury happen, and that it does not mean it will happen to her.

Good luck at States.

unfortunately I told the coach and as a punishment made her vault for 1.5 hours Monday, 2 hours Tuesday and One Hour on Friday...alone without teammates and with no communication. He also called her out for being afraid in front of the team and refuses to speak to me. So that didn't go so well....my thought too. He told me she needs to grow up.

Oh my that is not nice. To punish her for a fear is so counterproductive and may make Sophia even less happy about vault. Refusing to discuss this with you is a big red flag. I think they have done a great job with her skills wise, but the long term damage of that kind of abisive coaching is not beneficial. I would be calling for a meeting on this issue.

She will get it in due course, she is little and the vault is big and scary, her strong basics will help. BUt the coach needs to back off and encourage, not isolate and ridicule.

She will grow up when she grows up, I seem to recal she is only just 8 and doing just fine, the coach is the one with maturity issues.

Last edited:
I have to say, when I read that it made me pause. You went to him to help her, not have him ridicule her. Not OK in my opinion (not that you asked :) )

Oh it's not OK in my book either....but states are in two weeks and not alot of options till then though I did call another local team this week and they would take her right now....she want's to stick it out until after states than I think a change might be in order.

I had the same reaction as the others and don't blame you for looking at other options. Yikes! Sounds like that would be counterproductive. Is Sophia OK?

OK, a few thoughts while I was reading this thread!
- I would not consider 37.825 as struggling with any event...lol
- I am sure she is very competent at vault and is just a bit afraid.
- It is not OK for a coach to belittle any child, especially one as young as yours
- I don't get why coaches act this way. Don't they realize that we are the customer and we are paying for their service. (I know this comment just made every coach reading roll their eyes) I am not questioning their coaching, but common decency to a fellow human being (even if they are 7!) Believe me, if she is getting 9.5 and above on the three other events consistently, she wants to VAULT well!!!!

OK, I feel better now...

I agree...he told her she did bad last week with a 37.5 and for her it was low but holy cow...she has said she wishes SHE had broke her foot so she didn't have to vault.....not sure what to do except hugs hugs and more hugs

unfortunately I told the coach and as a punishment made her vault for 1.5 hours Monday, 2 hours Tuesday and One Hour on Friday...alone without teammates and with no communication. He also called her out for being afraid in front of the team and refuses to speak to me. So that didn't go so well....my thought too. He told me she needs to grow up.

WOW!! I'm just :jaw-dropping:
I'm so sorry the coach did that to your dd. I think I would have gone ballistic on him. Way to make sure they lose one of their best gymnast!!

I too don't get what makes coaches think they have the right to belittle and put down the children in their care. And the 'she needs to grow up' comment. She is what - 7/8 yo? Sure she needs to grow up - because she is a kid!! He, however, needs to grow up a figure out that treating people, especially children, with respect and consideration is part of being an adult - which he clearly is not.

I hope she can hang in there through states. Then I hope you find a more positive place for your talented little gymnast where she can grow up a thrive in a supportive and positive atmosphere. I'm sure any gym would want her on their team. Good luck to both of you.

Oh dear, this is not good. Poor thing! I hope you have hugged her tight and told her it's not okay for the coach to do this. I totally agree with others - she is LITTLE and it is just going to take time. All the berating in the world is not going to help and, in fact, is likely to make things worse. We have been through a little of this at our gym but thankfully the coach listened to what the parents said and has made positive changes. Hugs to both of you!

One of the other issues is other parents have the same issue but I'm the only one to bring it up with the owner or coach so I look wacky...OH what to do....they are afraid he will retaliate against their daughters too.

This makes me sad. What an arse. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see Sophia is a talented little gymmie who is trying REALLY hard.. I sorry you guys are going through this.

Gymmom14, I think what Lovofu means is that while Sophia is scoring well, she is struggling as she is scared to vault. I think its valid to say she is struggling.

The score part is not what she meant (excuse me if Im worng)

I agree...he told her she did bad last week with a 37.5 and for her it was low but holy cow...she has said she wishes SHE had broke her foot so she didn't have to vault.....not sure what to do except hugs hugs and more hugs

That is a huge red flag that there needs to be a change. Sophia deserves much better than to be humiliated in front of the othe girls and made to go do vault all week. Incredibly bad coaching!!! Can she tell you at all what it is that scares her?? Don't care if its states or the Olympic trials next week---children don't deserve that kind of treatment.
She needs a mature coach who can work through all this with her which probably means leaving her current gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back