MAG Late Night Eating

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My mom often comments about her British best friend who insists on putting cream in her tea... she just can't imagine spoiling perfectly good tea with cream.

I'm personally more grossed out by poptarts. :eek:

Also...I went to school with a girl who claimed her grandfather invented poptarts. He made them in his bakery. I'm sure they were much more wholesome and tasted much better. Supposedly he sold the concept to Kellogg's (or whoever) for $10,000. Poor grandpa got ripped off!!

My mom often comments about her British best friend who insists on putting cream in her tea... she just can't imagine spoiling perfectly good tea with cream.

Also...I went to school with a girl who claimed her grandfather invented poptarts. He made them in his bakery. I'm sure they were much more wholesome and tasted much better. Supposedly he sold the concept to Kellogg's (or whoever) for $10,000. Poor grandpa got ripped off!!
Was her name Gretchen Weiners?

ah, but I found "cream" in drinks in the US is not "cream", more non-dairy milk fat fat creamer substitute.

Here its milk ( as in cow juice, not any substitute) that goes in tea and coffee. And the tea has to be strong enough to stand a spoon in it.

I must say-We Americans do all the food, all the time. I love that about us. We may put our own spin upon it, but that's what it is... You can find all the world's cuisine here. There are so many restaurants here it's obscene!! Pastys besides the point...lol.

I used to live in a place in the US where every year, paczkis would turn up in the store at the appropriate time.

Also, pssst....

When I was a child, my brother and I did not care for traditional pasties, so my dad made us pizza pasties. That said, theoretically, you could use the recipe for the dough posted by @Iwannabemargo and modify the ingredients to be whatever you'd like, and you'd have a lovely meal.

Pizza pastie? Hand-held pot pie pastie? The possibilities are endless.

Just don't tell the Brits.

Edit doe disclaimer: Do not Google search pizza pasties for a recipe to add to a post. Let's just say Google is not always sensitive to how you spell, and some things cannot be unseen.

I had to google pizza pasties Lol, Lol, Lol.

In Houston, we have one of the most diverse populations of anywhere in the US and as a result, the most diverse foods. You can eat anything here. We also have long commutes and more restaurants than almost anywhere.

One of my best friends is transplant here in the Bay Area from England and she told me she loved that I put whole milk in my tea because it was a very British thing to do. She also introduced me to scones, which I found to be pretty inferior to a well made biscuit, personally. Too dry compared to the buttermilk fluffy goodness I love.

Wow, while we are still talking food, we are off topic. That being said, I far prefer scones to biscuits. I do love sausage gravy though, but I eat it in toast.

As for eating late at night. These kids work hard abs need lots of calories. It's important for them to learn to listen to what their body needs. So if they are hungry after practice, then they should eat. It can be a hearty snack or dinner. supplementing with things like ice cream is not all bad, as long as the majority of what they eat all day is healthier. My dd esp, needs to pack in calories. So she eats dinner and then ice cream many nights. She is so used to late dinners now that eating dinner before the evening work out at camp was confusing to her body. She had to have a snack still after that workout.

Comparing scones and biscuits. As with everything else it depends on how well it's made. A well made scone, is heavenly, cranberry orange is my favorite. A well made fluffy biscuit with homemade jam or a little honey and butter is equally divine. Sausage gravy is not my favorite but I'm sure a southern grandma could persuade me of its yum mines too.

Now if only steamed chicken and veggies held the same appeal.

Now that school has started, DS (age 9) gets home from practice around 9:15. When he gets home, he is always hungry (which I understand) but I hate to feed him and then send him to bed. Any nutritionists out there that can suggest what's best to eat in this scenario. He's fairly picky and would prefer to eat crackers and goldfish. I try to steer him towards milk but he says it doesn't fill him up. He doesn't care for meat, fruit, or vegetables :)

OK, going back to the OP, the bolded would concern me way more than the late night eating and that's where I'd try to focus my efforts in regard to his diet. Of course, you can always puree fruits and veggies and hide them in things like muffins, pasta sauces, etc. but you'd really be doing him a big favor by helping his palate expand some. I know...easy for me to say because I have kids who eat everything and always have, but I do have friends who have successfully managed picky eaters. It wasn't easy and it took a long time but they did implement rules and plans that had their kid eating more healthy food eventually.

... Of course, you can always puree fruits and veggies and hide them in things like muffins, pasta sauces, etc.

haha - now if I convince Pepperidge Farm to puree these and hide them in the Goldfish I might have bit of luck...

But, I should have clarified, we do manage to steer his eating towards a somewhat balanced diet during the earlier part of the day. I was really more concerned about the late night eating (although, particularly since he likes his carbs...). Thanks for all the replies - cracked me up (although let's not be hating on the PopTarts - come on, they are tasty). I like the idea of having a little dinner plate for him - that way we might be able to balance it a bit. I guess I was thinking he should avoid eating a dinner before bed but in retrospect I think it would keep it healthier.

Cheers!

Interestingly, talking food, I recently found that Michigan has something very similar to a Cornish Pasty. Apparently many cornishmen went over to work in the motor trade at the turn of the century and took it with them.
True! You can find versions of the Cornish Pasty all over Michigan. The most authentic ones will be found in the Keeweenaw Peninsula of the Upper Peninsula. This area became known as Copper Country because of all the copper mines. My Great Grandfather was from Cornwall and settled there--but he was a barber, not a miner :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back