WAG Level 6 Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

taximomma

Proud Parent
I am trying to understand Level 6 beam requirements. It is my understanding that Level 6 beam requires one "B" skill (plus the As). Does a BWO-BWO series satisfy the B requirement? My daughter has her BHS on beam but not confident and consistent enough to compete it at this point. They are having her do a round-off for now but can't she just do BWO-BWO instead? If she does a round-off she will only be doing one BWO.

[She also does this leap series where she does a split leap then jumps and does this foot flap thing (excuse my ignorance) followed immediately by a tuck jump while turning 180°.]

Thought I would ask you guys instead of asking/questioning the coach.

I am trying to understand Level 6 beam requirements. It is my understanding that Level 6 beam requires one "B" skill (plus the As). Does a BWO-BWO series satisfy the B requirement? My daughter has her BHS on beam but not confident and consistent enough to compete it at this point. They are having her do a round-off for now but can't she just do BWO-BWO instead? If she does a round-off she will only be doing one BWO.

[She also does this leap series where she does a split leap then jumps and does this foot flap thing (excuse my ignorance) followed immediately by a tuck jump while turning 180°.]

Thought I would ask you guys instead of asking/questioning the coach.

Happy to help! :)

A back walkover, no matter how many, is an ''A''. By this routine, she actually wouldn't need the round-off unless it replaces an ''A'' Value Part. The Tuck Jump with a 180 degree turn is a ''B'', so it fulfills the ''B'' Value Part.

You have all been very helpful. I'm not sure why they would put a roundoff in if she is doing the tuck jump/180 turn and that is a B. I don't usually watch....maybe she isn't doing the tuck jump correctly or maybe to fill the place for her BHS. Can you have more then 1 B skill in a level 6 beam routine without being penalized? Thanks again!

You have all been very helpful. I'm not sure why they would put a roundoff in if she is doing the tuck jump/180 turn and that is a B. I don't usually watch....maybe she isn't doing the tuck jump correctly or maybe to fill the place for her BHS. Can you have more then 1 B skill in a level 6 beam routine without being penalized? Thanks again!

Yes, most of my level 6 kids have two B skills (one acro and one dance).

You CAN have more than 1 B without being penalized... but if there are errors in execution or a fall, that is just another area for deductions.

We often do the 180 jump as the B and have another B (BHS typically) as backup in case the gymmie does not achieve the angle for the credit.

There is no limit to the number of B skills that you can do. The only limit is no C skills are allowed. The coach's philosophy will dictate if he/she will have gymnasts compete the minimum requirements (to minimize deductions) or compete more skills (as preparation for the next level). It is all about achieving the balance between wanting to score well now and preparing for the next level.

There is no limit to the number of B skills that you can do. The only limit is no C skills are allowed. The coach's philosophy will dictate if he/she will have gymnasts compete the minimum requirements (to minimize deductions) or compete more skills (as preparation for the next level). It is all about achieving the balance between wanting to score well now and preparing for the next level.

So some compete without all the skills/requirements? If that's the case they would have a lower start value....say 9.7 instead of 10 (for example)?? Too bad the girls don't have "bonus" points like the boys. This sport is very complex and interesting

You have all been very helpful. DD is just starting optionals so it's going to be more for me to understand when I see her compete.

All routines at L6,L7 and L8 start at a 10, provided they meet the special requirements and have the minimum number of A and B skills for the level. By minimum requirements, I meant having 1 B skill (minimum needed at L6) vs 2 or 3 B skills.
At L9 and L10 the routines start from 9.7 and 9.5 respectively, with the opportunity to earn bonus with increased difficulty.

But you will see a start value of less than a 10 if the special requirements are not met. So if you don't have at say a flight skill on beam then you will start at 9.5, 10-.5 for missing a special requirement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back