Level 8 beam options

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi!

Question about Level 8 beam - dd is working on making her series connected to her dismount. She would do BHS, BHS, BLO (or back tuck) - what do you see as the advantages to this rather than competing bhs, bhs and then having a RO, BLO or back tuck dismount? If you have competed it like this, how did it score for you?

Thanks in advance.

My DD has two series in her L8 beam routine. She does a FWO/BHS and also does the BHS BHS BT dismount.
I think she does the last one because she competed a similar series in L7 (Bwo, BHS BT) so it made sense to make the slight change and continue with it.
She scored very well (between 9.4 and 9.6 ) with it in L7 so I imagine it will score well in L8.

I see a lot of advantages to doing this. Not only is she then connecting a B skill into her dismount (also happens in a roundoff but not from a punch) but she also doesn't have to stick her series if she gets to connect it. I could imagine that she would save a lot of possible tenths in wobbles or falls if she can connect it to the dismount. Not to mention, she'll have a shorter routine. If she can do this, it seems like a great idea.

The only disadvantage of this as compared to a BHS BHS and then RO Layout (or tuck) is that there is a compositional deduction for not having a front/side acro element and a back acro element. If she does the BHS BHS dismount, she needs a front or side acro element somewhere in her routines (though it could be as simple as a cartwheel).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back