WAG Level 8 beam question.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2-4

Proud Parent
DD is training 8. HC had her get the Code of points and pick her skills for routines. She said her beam has these elements is she missing anything? Also will there be deductions for all acro being connected to dismount? I think it goes like this. Mount, full turn, switch leap, wolf or cat jump. CW-RO- BLO dismount. I think there is another A somewhere maybe a Hitchkick. Does this cover the requirements? Last year her HC missed .3 in start value and you all found it. So any help would be appreciated. HC is fairly new to optionals so I dread DD trying to figure L 9/10 connection values. You may have noticed her avoidance of back tumbling skills on beam. Back pain issues.

Here are the L8 requirements:
1. Acro series, 1 with flight
2. Leap/jump with 180 split
3. 360 turn on one foot
4. Aerial or salto dismount
5. 4 A skills and 4 B skills

But there are also composition deductions, including:
1. Missing acro elements bwd or fwd/sd -.10 / if only in dismount -.05
2. Acro elements not up to competitive level - up to -.20

Your DD has:
-Full turn (A)
-Switch leap (B) + wolf/cat (A) (I assumed this was a series)
-hitch kick (A)
-CW-RO-BLO - (A+B+A) - I think a BLO dsmt is an A, some can correct me?

So she fulfills all the requirements except the number of skills, but also would get -.05 for a lack of backward skills beginning and ending on the balance beam. It is possible they could take acro elements not up to competitive level, as well.
The biggest problem I see is the lack of skills. She has 5 As and 2 Bs, so she needs to add 2 Bs in there or face a -.40 deduction. The best thing would be to make one of those jumps a B jump and add a B acro element (or try for RO-RO if that would be solid for her). She could also do 2 B dance skills, but that would probably set her up for a deduction for lack of distribution between acro and dance.

She could make her jump combo split jump wolf jump and as long as the split jump is 180 it is a B...

Can she do a full twist dismount? That's a B

Or what about a standing back tuck on beam - that isn't excessive arching like a back handspring and is a C but can count for a B.

One more idea... Do the cartwheel round off in a series and then do a separate round off layout dismount.

Just to throw out a different option, could work back extension or back tuck as mentioned above, both would give her another B and get rid of the composition deduction for lack of backwards acro.

She could make her jump combo split jump wolf jump and as long as the split jump is 180 it is a B...

Can she do a full twist dismount? That's a B

Or what about a standing back tuck on beam - that isn't excessive arching like a back handspring and is a C but can count for a B.

One more idea... Do the cartwheel round off in a series and then do a separate round off layout dismount.
I think she will love this last suggestion as the RO is pretty solid.

Tentatively, I would do as mentioned above, and separate the cw-RO, and place it earlier in the routine and then do a separate RO-LO dismount. Also, I would begin working standing back tucks as a backward acro element in hopes of eventually adding this in.

If she can do a 180 split jump, I would do split jump into another jump and do the switch leap on its own. This would give her the 4 B skills that she needs. Add in the full turn somewhere, and she should be in good shape.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back