WAG Looking for gyms in Florida for DD to train at on vacation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

oh boy, that would be Caribbean. 2 b's and 1 r. and i was an...never mind. :)

maybe because gymnastics where she is at is nowhere near the intensity as it is here in the states and other countries. when they visit from the Carribean, they truly enjoy the experiences here and they "take back" a large amount of information that they use in their programs.

and then there are the programs here in the states that are deficient in some areas. the same thing as above takes place when those athletes return to their home gym. it can be a good thing, and of course if the athlete is all in so to speak, then it can be a great thing. :)

I guess this is kind of my point...if she's coming from a program that is "nowhere near the intensity of the programs here in the US" and is on vacation from her program in the Caribbean, and has no plans to relocate to a more intense area in the States, then why disrupt your vacation to train in a program you won't be able to sustain? I highly doubt a 10 yo level 6 (old level 5?) will be bringing a whole lot back to her home gym because she's just a kid, not a coach in training. I guess if I was coming to the States like the OP and I wanted some structured training while she was here, I'd send her to a college camp or something like a Woodward....

My kids would LOVE to train at a different gym some during a vacation. They love practice and like the chance to meet other gymnasts and coaches. (I do have the kids that told me they would rather do gymnastics camp next summer than Disney World. :p) I certainly wouldn't keep up a practice schedule like they have at home; but if we were going on a 2 week trip we would likely check to see if there was a gym that they could practice with a few times.

As for the grades thing... ditto Dunno - most of the gymnasts are NOT the kids who are struggling in school. Also, those statistics are not all that they are cracked up to be. MANY countries track kids, so only the best of the best kids are continuing on to a college prep type high school. In the US we seem to be stuck on telling every kid that they can and should go to college. Maybe if we would focus more on encouraging kids to get an education that would prepare them for jobs that they enjoyed/excelled at (even if it is an auto mechanic instead of a doctor) then we would be doing a little better.

Here's the thing...... we have no pit at our gym, and DD loves training with a pit. She was so excited when she got to train in South Carolina and Puerto Rico. To you guys this may not seem like a big deal, but to us it is. DD wants to do this. It was a particular coach in SC that helped her to figure out how to stick her CW on beam, for example - sometimes a new perspective is everything. Yes she would have figured out the CW eventually, but SHE was so happy when it happened in SC, and it has given her really positive feelings about other gyms. Plus, she's already taking a break from training before and after her holiday, because her coaches are going to be away. If she doesn't train at all when on vacation she will end up going about 4 weeks doing no gym - that's a long time.

I corresponded with Gary at Twisters and he says no problem. They start at 7.45 which is great, because not much else is happening at that hour, and when she's done at 11.45 she has the whole afternoon at the pool. She'll probably only go for one day, maybe 2. The thing is, her brother and sister both love fishing with their dad and she doesn't, so if we can coordinate the gymnastics and the fishing so that they happen at the same time it will be perfect! Me, I can happily kill the gym time at Target ;)

I also e-mailed an Orlando gym (Orlando Gymnastics) for the following week, and they said no problem as well. But the week we are there will be busier with things that we do want to do in the morning, so we're playing that one more by ear. It is a vacation as some of you have pointed out, and we don't plan for her to miss stuff because of gym time.

We just went through this with our son. We were on a road trip for two weeks and the week of the 4th our gym was closed for the holiday week. So DS would have been out of the gym for three weeks. He was begging for gym time and we were able to find an open gym the first week in a city we were visiting and thanks to this very forum we were able to find a delightful gym in Arizona and he worked out with the team. He loved it, and enjoyed seeing how different teams do things. It was a great experience all around.

I believe ACE is in Daytona, unless they have another location in addition.

Ray just opened a new facility in Daytona also. he had an old one there for a couple of years but not state of the art. the new one is beautiful. :)

Here's the thing...... we have no pit at our gym, and DD loves training with a pit. She was so excited when she got to train in South Carolina and Puerto Rico. To you guys this may not seem like a big deal, but to us it is. DD wants to do this. It was a particular coach in SC that helped her to figure out how to stick her CW on beam, for example - sometimes a new perspective is everything. Yes she would have figured out the CW eventually, but SHE was so happy when it happened in SC, and it has given her really positive feelings about other gyms. Plus, she's already taking a break from training before and after her holiday, because her coaches are going to be away. If she doesn't train at all when on vacation she will end up going about 4 weeks doing no gym - that's a long time.

I corresponded with Gary at Twisters and he says no problem. They start at 7.45 which is great, because not much else is happening at that hour, and when she's done at 11.45 she has the whole afternoon at the pool. She'll probably only go for one day, maybe 2. The thing is, her brother and sister both love fishing with their dad and she doesn't, so if we can coordinate the gymnastics and the fishing so that they happen at the same time it will be perfect! Me, I can happily kill the gym time at Target ;)

I also e-mailed an Orlando gym (Orlando Gymnastics) for the following week, and they said no problem as well. But the week we are there will be busier with things that we do want to do in the morning, so we're playing that one more by ear. It is a vacation as some of you have pointed out, and we don't plan for her to miss stuff because of gym time.

precisely what i meant. i know you guys work in a sparse gym environment. some parents have never been in a gym outside the US so some parents don't know what it's like. and Jeff Wood at Orlando Metro is also welcoming to visitors. especially foreign visitors. some us are well traveled internationally and it is hard for us believe sometimes the sparse conditions of some of the gyms that we have seen. :)

precisely what i meant. i know you guys work in a sparse gym environment. some parents have never been in a gym outside the US so some parents don't know what it's like. and Jeff Wood at Orlando Metro is also welcoming to visitors. especially foreign visitors. some us are well traveled internationally and it is hard for us believe sometimes the sparse conditions of some of the gyms that we have seen. :)

Dunno, it's a real credit to our coaches that we do as well as we do when we compete overseas. Some of it is pure raw talent of some of our kids, but much of it is good coaching under less than ideal conditions. We don't usually win overall, but we have a few stars that shine, and very often we are in the middle of the pack in team scores, meaning we aren't the weakest gym there (which is what you might expect if you saw us training in our own facility). Training in a good U.S. gym is a real opportunity that we'd be silly to pass up, even if it does end up taking away a little vacation time. We live in a vacation paradise - we're at the beach all the time. We can certainly sacrifice a few hours of Florida beach time. ;)

Well I know my kid would think it was THE best holiday ever if she got to spend a morning in another gym!
That's so great that your dd gets that chance.

Oh and we have a pit, lol, but it would just be getting to do gymnastics somewhere else that was so cool.

Well I know my kid would think it was THE best holiday ever if she got to spend a morning in another gym!
That's so great that your dd gets that chance.

Oh and we have a pit, lol, but it would just be getting to do gymnastics somewhere else that was so cool.
I was curious, and asked DD over the weekend. She thought it would be really cool to pick up one or two days in another gym while on vacation.

I'm not trying to be snarky but really is it our business what this woman chooses to allow her daughter to do on their vacation? She wasn't asking us to validate her choice or asking our advice about whether it was the best thing to do or not. She was looking for specific information in terms of a gym, not unsolicited advice criticizing her choices. Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude, just making a point......

I was told about Brandy Johnson's Gym in Clermont. That's really close to where we'll be staying, so it would be super convenient. Anyone have an e-mail address for them? I've searched but no luck. I'd prefer that over a number because the e-mail is free .......

Hope you find something Bajanswife - is we ever went stateside I know Pink and Fluffy would kill for some gym time with a pit xxx

Ray just opened a new facility in Daytona also. he had an old one there for a couple of years but not state of the art. the new one is beautiful. :)

The Blackjack at the Beach meet that they host is DD's favorite!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back