Meet report levels 5-8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We went to a big annual invitational this past weekend, and all the girls did really well. 1st session was level 6. We only have 3 level 6s and one is injured so two were there. One of the girls, Shannon, recently moved to our gym. She came with barely level 6 skills, and isn't really ready to compete, but she was at her old gym, so she is now. She did great for her. She improves her all-around significantly at every meet. But she still has a lot of work to do so she didn't really place. Highest placement was 6th on beam.

The other 6, Sophie, was very consistent. Nailed her beam routine. Her flexibility is where she gets her biggest deductions. 8.675. Floor was great, but again, flexibility. 8.8. Vault wasn't her greatest but still fine. 8.5. Bars was good, about as much as I could expect from her. 8.35. She got 2nd on bars and beam and won all-around!!!

Second session: level 7,8. Beam first. Both 7s fell on their back handsprings, both 8s missed their back handspring connections. Still even with a fall, one of the 7s scored a 9.0. Floor: Everyone did well. All high 8s for scores. Vault, both 7s scored 8.95, a little lower than usual. 8s scored 9.2 (tuck tsuk) and 8.55 (handspring-back injury). Bars: here's the story. One of the 7s doesn't have a giant but the head coach made a rule that you can't compete without it. So she's been scratching bars all year, and its been killing me and her. It doesn't seem fair. Well this meet for whatever reason the HC decided to let her compete bars. Luckily she had brought her grips, and luckily I had had her work some routines without the giant at practice on Friday. She did fairly well. 7.675. The other 7 has form issues but made her routine. 8.65. The first 8 did great. 9.175. The other hasn't been able to practice a full routine for about 3 weeks because of her back. She fell twice. 8.15. The two 7s were in the same age group. The first one, Jaime, won bars and all-around. The second won beam and floor and placed 2nd all-around. So proud of them. One of the 8s placed 1st on vault and bars and 5th all around, the other won vault, 2nd on bars and 2nd all-around.

I'm so proud of all of them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back