WAG mental block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

bridget

Gymnast
I'm new to this so I'm sorry if I didn't post correctly but I have this mental block against flyaways. I could do them and I was never scared of them before but at a meet I pulled in and hit my knees on the bar and fell on my neck. I'm okay now and my coach is working on them again with me but I can't seem to do it. I know I let go at horizontal and tuck but my brain won't let me. My coach is getting fed up with me and I'm frustrated. I want to be able to do flyaways again but I can't. Advice?

Time. It just takes time and patience on your part and the part of the coach. My dd is in your situation only she has hit her toes on the bar several times and it caused her a huge mental block. We worked though Doc Alli's fear workbook and that helped a lot (she also had a block on her BWO on beam.) Her BWO is back and she's starting to work on flyaway drills again, but is still competing an under swing dismount for now. If your coach has coached gymnastics for any length of time they should be fully aware of how to handle mental blocks and getting frustrated with you is not the answer. I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

I hit my toes on a layout once, and I had a little bit of a mental block. This probably won't work for you, but I did layouts into the pit and had my teammates tell me if I was close, etc.

For your situation:

You could put up one of those cheese mats up and put it so its just out of your reach. Then, either extend or if you feel comfortable let go and try to hit the cheese mat down with only your feet (like the diagram)

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 3.10.16 PM.png

As you get better and better, move the cheese mat further away. This will help train you to let go and travel further, so you won't hit the bar.

Make sure the top of the cheese mat is above the bar, and aim to hit it over on the top. Oh, and obviously do this over a pit or a resi.

Then, once you've gotten great at this, do it, but then after you've hit, tuck up and land on your back in a tuck position. Have your coach spot this step.

Then, you can work back to flipping into the pit, then onto a mat.

Search Chalkbucket with the word "flyaway." Many threads with helpful tips will come up. Also, if you go to my list of "started posts" by clicking on my username, down at the bottom, you will see a flyaway thread I started and received good replies on for my block. Best of luck!

no advice but i want to wish you luck in overcoming this fear! you can do it! just give yourself time and get to the pit bar if you can to practice.

I have just recently overcome this mental block my best advice is to give it time. I know thats not exactly what you are looking for but it helps a lot. Im a tall gymnastics so the thing that really helped me get over this fear was having double spot and my coach telling me when to let go. This alowed me to focus on letting go of the bar not how to do the skill?

Oooo yeah, we just went through the hell of the flyways ourselves. Similar story to yours...DD hit her feet on the top bar, landed crooked and partially tore 2 ligaments in her foot. Once she was able to perform full practice, she was not able to "let go" of the bar anymore. The coaches had her start over from the beginning -- as if she was just learning the skill. Dead cows etc into the pit. From there they had her do the drill Sarah_the_gymnast mentioned above (with the high cheese mat). Weeks and weeks of doing that. Then on to the high bar with a heavy spot. It took about 3 1/2 months before she would let go again.

Initially we felt worried she was going to "start over" on the drills, but it was absolutely necessary and everyone just had to be patient. She has now been performing her flyaway for the first time in the past two meets. Oh and at the Manhattan Classic meet she was too archy on her high bar swing and managed to hit both her feet on the low bar (good grief!), but she stopped, did a pull over, then casted and did the flyaway.

I think starting over has really brought her back. Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take 2 steps forward. Time is your friend.

I hope your gym can recognize your block and give you the drills to overcome it. Wishing you luck! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back