Parents National TOPs Testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnut1

I noticed that the last round of State TOPs testing is this weekend. So soon people will start to know who is going to national testing. There don't seem to have been the usual number of threads about it this year.

So how is everyone getting on and who is hoping to be one of the lucky few who make it to national testing?

And Good Luck;)

We don't do TOPS at our gym so I have nothing to report but Good Luck to everyone that is testing - I know it is a huge commitment and a huge accomplishment to make it to national testing!

Yes, usually these boards are literally buzzing with TOPs questions/news/etc. this time of year!! I'm wondering if people have calmed down about it a bit and realize it's not the be all and end all of gymnastics??

Well, DD's gym does not do TOPS either, but just wanted to pass on our "good luck" wishes!

Our gym isn't doing tops testing anymore, just using the program as an integral part of training. It does seem quiet on the TOPS discussion front. Interesting, and good luck to anyone going through the process. :)

I am from Canada and I have seen the term TOPS quite often, but I am unfamiliar with what the Natioanl TOPS testing is? Does it take place accross the country? What happens to the gymnasts who make it to or through this testing?

My DD has maxed out on almost everything for 9 year olds, so we are hoping she gets to go to testing. She has worked really hard these last few years and so has her coaches. Last year she had an avulsion fracture on her elbow right before her second testing, so she was out the rest of the summer. Hopefully this is her year to make it to training camp. If not, she is still proud of her accomplishments & will continue to train for next year.

Here is a question: TOPs National testing is Octboer 1-3, but in the USA magazine it lists two dates Sept. 30- Oct. 2 then Oct. 1-3. DO you think they are breaking it up by age groups? 7 & 8 are starting a day before the 9 & 10 year old?

I do remember last year that the girls were split up according to ages and my dd who was 8 years old tested on saturday and sunday but I don't know if that will be the same schedule. They should post something on the USAG website within the next few weeks. Good Luck!!!

Good luck to everyone...any idea on when the coaches will be notified this year?

Hope to see some results soon!

Thanks busymomof4, that is what I thought, but wasn't sure. :)

lovofu - we should know within the next 2 weeks. I remember last year took two weeks, but that was because they were phasing out the 11 year olds & adding the 7's, so maybe this year will be quicker.

I am from Canada and I have seen the term TOPS quite often, but I am unfamiliar with what the Natioanl TOPS testing is? Does it take place accross the country? What happens to the gymnasts who make it to or through this testing?

TOPs according to USAG is
TOPs (Talent Opportunity Program), is a talent search and educational program for female gymnast ages 7-10 and their coaches. During the months of June and July gymnasts age 7-10 are evaluated on physical abilities at the state level. These dates are set by the state TOP managers in conjunction with the National Elite Program Chair. From there, athletes are invited to participate in the National TOP test that is conducted in the month of October where the athletes will be evaluated on the same physical abilities tests along with some basic gymnastics skills. Athletes are then invited to participate in the National TOP Training camp which takes place in December of each year.

this link will take you to the USAG page with all that info
:: USA Gymnastics :: TOPs Program Overview ::

Just wondering if my daughter even had a shot of making national testing. She flubbed up her handstand (twice) and only got about 9 seconds. Other than that, she meets or beats the national TOPs average from last years posted scores and her coach said she didn't get any other deductions on her score sheet (She is testing as an 8 year old). Too bad, she generally gets between 20 and 30 seconds. . . . not that day!

Anyone had a similar thing happen last year????

Just wondering if my daughter even had a shot of making national testing. She flubbed up her handstand (twice) and only got about 9 seconds. Other than that, she meets or beats the national TOPs average from last years posted scores and her coach said she didn't get any other deductions on her score sheet (She is testing as an 8 year old). Too bad, she generally gets between 20 and 30 seconds. . . . not that day!

Anyone had a similar thing happen last year????

Last year, the cut-offs were as follows:

7 yo - 70 for diamond level
8 yo - 75.00
9 yo - 68.00
10 yo - 72.00
11 yo - 77.00

The scores are out of a possible 90. I think on an average, the girls should get about an 8 on each ability test to have a chance at making it to national testing. If you DD maxed out (got 10s) on all the other tests, and just "flubbed" the handstand, she may have a very good chance. Last year, they raised the cut-off scores from the year before. And I believe they may have raised it also from the prior year. Also, if you look at the averages of the regional testing, you will note the Physical Abilities total average is 53.17, which is substantially less than the cut-off. Keep in mind, these are averages and you want to go well above the average scores.

If your DD makes it to national testing, making it to camp is another hurdle. Since they phased out the 11 year olds this year, I am not so sure what they are planning to do. They had less girls at the camp last year. In previous years, there were around 70. Last year, it was around 50 (I believe). They took about thirteen 8 yo, sixteen 9 yo, fourteen 10 yo and about eleven 11 yo. I think don't quote me on the numbers.

Anyway, good luck to your DD. She is still very young. She is off to a good start.

Thanks for the info, 4theloveofsports. My daughter's coach gave us the scores and she estimated my daughter had between 68-72 points, and also told me that even with the high score, she would miss the cutoff from last year (her rope climb score was also 1/2 second slower than the national TOPS testing avg from last year)!!! Oh well, she is still amazing and there's always next year, right??

Thanks for the info, 4theloveofsports. My daughter's coach gave us the scores and she estimated my daughter had between 68-72 points, and also told me that even with the high score, she would miss the cutoff from last year (her rope climb score was also 1/2 second slower than the national TOPS testing avg from last year)!!! Oh well, she is still amazing and there's always next year, right??

Absolutely on both counts! There definitely is always next year and she is amazing. A score of 68 to 72 is a GREAT score, specially for someone so young. She'd make it to nationals if she was 9 or 10 with those scores. She should be very proud of herself. Congratulations!!

P.S. Because they are phasing out the 11 year olds, I don't know what will happen. The cut-offs for 8 year olds may be lower than last year. You never know.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back