Need some song ideas!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

I make the video every year for the gymnastics team banquet and this year I'm going to have a song with pictures of them when they were littler and now--but I need some suggestions for a song to use! Got any good ideas??

I am doing do for our team as well. I got a few songs picked out but I'm not sharing. :cool:

Seriously, is there a customary theme? That probably should determine the type of music you want to use.

Our gym traditionally do a tear jerker with an easy-listening/instrumental/vocal number for the slideshow (often from Disney). When I say tear-jerker, I'm not kidding. It's heavy tissue time for the ladies.

Since I took over the task, I've added a second part that is a montage that contains animation and featured clips. The theme changes from one year to the next. For that, I typically pick something that is a bit off main stream (but not totally out there), catchy and (somewhat) age appropriate. That's usually a good seller with the gymnasts.

FWIW, this year it'll be James Taylor's You've Got a Friend for the vocal. I'm thinking a pop-reggae mix of Matiyahu's One day, Dirty Heads' Stand Tall and Michael Franti's Say Hey for the other number.

You should do some songs that the gymnasts like. ask your daughter and her friends what they would want. thats how my coach does it

Last year our gym used "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. It worked real well, but I am still trying to find something job for this year.

I agree about the tearjerker bit...it's a great time for a bit of good old emotion :) If it's sort of about them growing as gymnasts (which it probably is a least partly because they will all have grown :D ) I might suggest:
I Learned From You- may depend on the age group as to whether they like it as it is a Hannah Montana song but if you listen to the lyrics I find them very appropriate
I Will Remember You by Ryan Cabrera- I saw this song first in a Shawn Johnson montage and I LOVE it
Gold by Spandau Ballet- not so tearjerker but I love listening to the words when I go to a meet
Footprints in the Sand by Leona Lewis
Crazier by Taylor Swift
Electricity, either by Elton John or the one sung by Billy Elliott
A more fun one: Broken Heels by Alexandra Burke (don't know how big this in the States but it was huge in the UK, she was the winner of X Factor in 2008)
the ballad version of This is What Dreams are Made Of from the Lizzie McGuire movie- saw this one in a montage too but it's only a short song so may not work
Whatever it Takes by Leona Lewis- beautiful song with very appropriate words
The Climb by Miley Cyrus- very well known amongst anyone under the age of 18, possibly too well known :) but the words are actually VERY appropriate
Amazing by Janelle
Fame- probably the newer version because I think it's more age appropriate :)
Greatest Day by Take That

Just a few there for you! I love finding songs for things like this!

The girls at Pickle's gym are all really into that annoying Fireflies song by Owl City this year.

We put this verse on our card to the (departing) coach:

To ten million fireflies
I'm weird cause I hate goodbyes
I got misty eyes as they said farewell
But I'll know where several are
If my dreams get real bizarre
Cause I saved a few and I keep them in a jar

Another good one is Natasha Bedingfield's Unwritten. It's good for a montage because it's upbeat bet there are some slow moments. And it is just about the most upbeat message ever:

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

I am doing do for our team as well. I got a few songs picked out but I'm not sharing. :cool:

Seriously, is there a customary theme? That probably should determine the type of music you want to use.

Our gym traditionally do a tear jerker with an easy-listening/instrumental/vocal number for the slideshow (often from Disney). When I say tear-jerker, I'm not kidding. It's heavy tissue time for the ladies.

Since I took over the task, I've added a second part that is a montage that contains animation and featured clips. The theme changes from one year to the next. For that, I typically pick something that is a bit off main stream (but not totally out there), catchy and (somewhat) age appropriate. That's usually a good seller with the gymnasts.

FWIW, this year it'll be James Taylor's You've Got a Friend for the vocal. I'm thinking a pop-reggae mix of Matiyahu's One day, Dirty Heads' Stand Tall and Michael Franti's Say Hey for the other number.

There's only a theme if I want a theme--there's always 2 or 3 fun songs (with pictures of the girls not competing--but, well, having fun), 2 competition songs for Compulsories and 2 competition songs for Optionals (with clips of each girl's routines), a coaches song, a falls song and a song of something different--last year I did the girls dancing--this year I'm doing the one with them as little kids and then now. Thanks for the ideas!

Last year our gym used "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. It worked real well, but I am still trying to find something job for this year.

I love that song--one of our seniors last year used it as her song for her montage though (our seniors each year put together their own songs). I don't repeat songs, so can't use that.

last year I did the girls dancing--this year I'm doing the one with them as little kids and then now.
Great minds think alike! One of those is what I am considering for this year. Last year, I had two themes: a composition of demos, optional dances and skills; and an attitude number.

Also, about the surprise and unique factors in creating the show, that is my thinking too. Also, if done effectively, a uncommon score helps to identify the author and it tends to have more of a lasting effect. Most importantly to the gymnasts, it can also be just as popular to the younger crowd. If time permits, I think the extra effort is well worth it.

"Do I Make You Proud" Taylor Hicks about 4 min.
"Rock What You Got" Superchick from Make It or Break It
"Supergirl" Saving Jane Nastia used at after Olympics Tour
"Happy Girl" Martina McBride at least the chorus is good
"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" Cindy Lauper the chorus

I will keep thinking. These are the kind of projects I love. Where do you get all the pictures from? Our gym does this just for seniors usually, but what a great idea.

If it's before and after pictures and you want something sweet and sentimental then I would suggest "As the years go by" by Amy Grant. It's a really great song and surprisingly fitting for gymnastics.

A great one is Carrie Underwwod's "Whenever you Remember"

"Whenever You Remember"

When you look back on times we had
I hope you smile
And know that through the good and through the bad
I was on your side when nobody could hold us down
We claimed the brightest star
And we, we came so far
And no they won't forget

[Chorus]
Whenever you remember times gone by
Remember how we held our heads so high
When all this world was there for us
And we believed that we could touch the sky
Whenever you remember, I'll be there
Remember how we reached that dream together
Whenever you remember

When you think back on all we've done
I hope you're proud
When you look back and see how far we've come
It was our time to shine
And nobody could hold us down
They thought they'd see us fall
But we, we stood so tall
And no we won't forget

Whenever you remember

Yeah, Oh

We claimed the brightest star
And we, we came so far
You know that we, we showed them all
And no they won't forget

Yeah

Whenever you remember

Whenever you remember

Oh, whenever you remember

Also There is Let them be Little by Billy Dean or Lone Star! Real Tear jerker

I can remember when you fit in the palm of my hand.
You felt so good in it; no bigger than a minute.
How it amazes me you're changin' with every blink.
Faster than a flower blooms, they grow up all too soon.

So let them be little,
'Cause they're only that way for a while.
Give 'em hope, give them praise,
Give them love every day.
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle,
Let 'em sleep in the middle,
Oh, but let them be little.

I never felt so much in one little tender touch.
I live for those kisses, your prayers an' your wishes.
An' now you're teachin' me how only a child can see.
Tonight, while we're on our knees, all I ask is:

Please, let them be little,
Give them hope, give them praise,
Let 'em sleep in the middle,

The so innocent, precious soul:
You turn around, an' it's time to let them go.

So let them be little,
Give them hope, give 'em praise,
Let them sleep in the middle,

Let them be little.

World's Greatest by R. Kelly is inspriring, emotional and a great song! For the upbeat part, try Celebrate! I'm not sure of the artist, but it goes like this: "Celebrate good times, c'mon!" You know that song, right!? Unwrittin is just as good as World's Greatest

"Do I Make You Proud" Taylor Hicks about 4 min.
"Rock What You Got" Superchick from Make It or Break It
"Supergirl" Saving Jane Nastia used at after Olympics Tour
"Happy Girl" Martina McBride at least the chorus is good
"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" Cindy Lauper the chorus

I will keep thinking. These are the kind of projects I love. Where do you get all the pictures from? Our gym does this just for seniors usually, but what a great idea.

Thanks for all the ideas!! Parents send in the pictures and video for me to use and we, of course, tape at every meet we attend :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back