Negative Coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What an awesome website, so glad I stumbled across it.

My question is regarding my dd's team coach. My daughter is a level 8 and has been on team for 5 years. About 8 months ago the owner of the gym pretty much "retired" from coaching the team and handed the team over to the assistant team coach. She was very positive at first but over the past 4 months or so has become negative and at times down right mean to some of the team girls. She badmouths the owner in front of the girls, tells parents one thing and then talks behind their back, makes girls sit out if they didnt make their skills and her most recent thing is singling out certain girls and telling them that they are only giving 10 percent. Then she proceeds to ask the rest of the teammates if they want her on team if she is only giving 10 percent putting them in a horrible situation.

Several parents including myself have talked to the owner and he pretty much says we are out of luck that she is a good coach and any gym would love to have her. And that he is done coaching and if the gym doesn't have her than there will be no team.

My daughter loves gymnastics but I can see her frustration and sadness when she tells me how much this coaching bothers her. I want my daughters best interest in mind and feel that this negative coaching is not the best environment for her or for the other girls as well. So my question, Do I keep her at the gym or move her to a smaller newer gym that is just getting started (and just happens to be the current gym owners previous employee that he fired)?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

Lynn

If the coaching style at the smaller gym is a better "fit" for your daughter then go ahead and move her. After coming from a gym that routinely let GOOD coaches go, I know that you can't always believe the stories and owner will tell you about why coaches were fired..... take your daughter for an evaluation and see what SHE thiniks.

That seems like a strange response from the owner- after all- you are the customer! It seems to me that if this was the owners response, there will be no changes at all at your gym. Did your daughter ever have the coach that they fired? What did she think? I think the only way you will know is to have her try the other gym. Good luck!

That seems like a strange response from the owner- after all- you are the customer! It seems to me that if this was the owners response, there will be no changes at all at your gym. Did your daughter ever have the coach that they fired? What did she think? I think the only way you will know is to have her try the other gym. Good luck!

I agree on the strange response, from what the owner has told he, he coached for 25 years and is burned out. The sad part is he was a good coach and my daughter would not be where she is today in gymnastics if it wasn't for him, and I feel like she is going backwards because of this new team coach's negative attitude. No, she never had the coach that got fired, it happened shortly before we joined this gym. In the end I know it is all about her being happy.Thank you for your advice!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News