WAG New level 6 experiences?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
I'm wondering what kind of routines a new level 6 might be doing on beam, bars, and floor. My DD may be finishing out her season at this level next spring

I'm a huge fan of L6. My DD started last season at L6 and it was so much fun. Routines really vary. I'll share my DD's routine and hope that others follow suit so you can see how many fun variations there are.

Beam: press handstand mount, handstand step down, back handspring, split jump, full turn, gainer dismount.

Bars: kip cast squat on, jump to high, kip cast to handstand, clear hip to handstand (most of the time LOL), giant, flyaway layout.

Floor: ROBHSBLO, switch leap, FHS-FLO

My DDs routines were quite simple Beam: 3rd at States with beautiful backwalkover, split jump/beat jump ,full turn (not so beautiful) and front tuck dismount. Always scored in 9s. She had had connected bwos and tick tock bwo for 2 years but never competed them!
Floor: also 3rd at states, even though her music started twice then skipped and she had to start over. She did robhsbt and fronthsft.Her split leap changed to switch for states and score went up! Always in 9 range.
Bars- never got higher than 8.45 with casts to barely over horizontal (never lost special R) free hip nowhere near hs, tucked flyaway. I also am a huge fan of level 6!!

I'm a huge fan of L6. My DD started last season at L6 and it was so much fun. Routines really vary. I'll share my DD's routine and hope that others follow suit so you can see how many fun variations there are.

Beam: press handstand mount, handstand step down, back handspring, split jump, full turn, gainer dismount.

Bars: kip cast squat on, jump to high, kip cast to handstand, clear hip to handstand (most of the time LOL), giant, flyaway layout.

Floor: ROBHSBLO, switch leap, FHS-FLO

It sounds like she could have easily competed 7 with those routines. Why did they have her do 6?

Yes, lots of variation in routines. Level six was great for my dd this year with where her goals were focused. Our gym didn't put much emphasis on routines this year and more focused on uptraining for what's coming next so they did more of a bare minimum thing.

My dd's routines consisted of...

Beam: BHS, split jump beat jump combo, Front tuck dismount, full turn. Generally scored mid nines.

Bars: kip cast handstand, clear hip, kip to squat on jump to high bar kip cast handstand direct to flyaway. I saw very few giants. scored high 8s low nines with this as her handstands weren't all the way to the top. This seems to be the biggest bar deduction. Her scores got better and better as the season went on and they got higher.

Floor: ROBHSBT, front tuck, one and a half turn.

It sounds like she could have easily competed 7 with those routines. Why did they have her do 6?

She moved to 7 mid-season and finished out the season there. Our coach wasn't sure what L6 would look like in our state so all of our new optionals were L6s.

I also love level 6. My DD came from competing 2 years Xcel Gold.
Bars - kip cast clear hip, kip, cast squat on, kip, cast fly away.
Beam - bwo, leap, full turn, split jump-straight jump, front tuck dismount
Floor -full turn, robhs-full, straddle jump, split leap-tuck jump, front tuck

She had a great season. Had to work for it all the way, but finished 3rd AA at states. Loved level 6!

We had 4 L6 on our team.
Beam - 3 did cartwheels and one did BWO. 2 did pike jumps, one did a balance hold, and one did a jump 3/4. All did split jumps. (All scored over 9.0 during the season. One of them was regularly around 9.4).
Floor - ROBHSBT and FT for all, Pike jumps for 3, tuck full for the other one, various split jump or leap combinations. (They all also had 9s on floor by the end of the season).
Bars - Kip, cast, clear hip, kip, squat on, kip, cast, clear hip, flyaway for 3 of them... one left out the low bar clear hip, kip. (This is where our girls got nailed... their casts! ... high scores for the girls ranged from low 7s to high 8s... and 7th place to 3rd place.)

Another big fan of L6!
Beam: BWO-BWO combo, full turn, FWO, split jump and sisonne, CW BT dismount
Bars: kip cast handstand clear hip kip squat on jump kip cast handstand to layout flyaway. She typically hit both handstands and scored in the 9s.
Floor: ROBHSBT, FHSFPike, switch leap, full turn

My DD also had a balance hold on beam, forgot that.
The casts and clear hips had to only be 45° above horizontal, not to a full handstand. My daughter scored high 8s low 9s, but her challenge was getting the connections. She did get first at one meet.
We only saw one L6 doing giants.

My DD also had a balance hold on beam, forgot that.
The casts and clear hips had to only be 45° above horizontal, not to a full handstand. My daughter scored high 8s low 9s, but her challenge was getting the connections. She did get first at one meet.
We only saw one L6 doing giants.
If they dont hit HS or at least close, there is a deduction (just not the whole .5 for the SR... could be up to 0.3- I think... so a deduction for at least 45º above would be less than for barely above horizontal). One of our L6 was hitting 45º above on her casts and scored high 8s. Our other three would hit horizontal (most of the time) and scored low 7s to low 8s - even if they had the 10.0 SV.

I just read "one cast - min. horizontal" and clear hip to handstand. I don't think I saw anyone hit the handstand, or very few. My DD's casts and clear hips were always above 45. We found out at the 4th meet tho that her routine was wrong. She had been doing jump to high bar, 2 tap swings fly away. Next meet she changed it, and had to really fight to get the kip, cast on the high bar, so she had a really low score. Next meet with better bar setting she got a low 9, but first place.

I just read "one cast - min. horizontal" and clear hip to handstand. I don't think I saw anyone hit the handstand, or very few. My DD's casts and clear hips were always above 45. We found out at the 4th meet tho that her routine was wrong. She had been doing jump to high bar, 2 tap swings fly away. Next meet she changed it, and had to really fight to get the kip, cast on the high bar, so she had a really low score. Next meet with better bar setting she got a low 9, but first place.
To get the SR they have to cast to a minimum of horizontal... but to not get a deduction, they have to be close to HS. There was a big discussion about that on here at the start of the season, lol... and the rules confirmed it (as well as the judges HC and I have talked to).
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx10_BarTechnique2013.pdf
Horizontal to 45º is a deduction of .25-.30 ... from 45º to 30º from HS, the deduction is .15-.20 ... from 30º to 20º from HS, the deduction is .1 ... it has to be within 20º of HS to get VP (B Skill credit)... and from 20º to 10º from HS, the deduction is .05.

Average routines are:
Beginner level 6 floor:
Robhsbhs, front tuck, split leap side leap, tuck full
Advanced:
Robhslo, fhs ft, switch leap
Beginner beam:
Cartwheel, full turn, tuck jump, split leap and split jump, aerial dismount
Advanced:
Roundoff, fhs, or bhs, full turn, pike jump, split jump, split leap, CW back tuck dismount or aerial
Beginner bars:
Kip free hip kip squat on kip cast back hip circle underswing dismount
Advanced:
Kip free hip kip squat on kip cast back hip circle underswing uprise free hip swing pullover underswing back swing flyaway OR flyaway straight from free hip. A few threw some giants in there.

We don't have many 6's doing the beginner routines above. Especially floor. I like level 6 way more than 5...

And a clear hip is deduction free at 45º :)

So what is the deduction schedule for clearhips? I was just watching on YouTube a level 6 routine that had one cast above 45, but the other was only slightly above horizontal, and 2 clearhips nowhere near horizontal, and the routine scored a 9.0. I just can't see how it scored so high.....

My daughter competed 3/4 of a season of Lev 6 coming back from injury. There were meets where I didn't see any girls hitting cast handstands on bars my daughter was hit or miss. Any girls hitting them were scoring 9.3+ on bars. Girls slightly above horizontal were typically scoring 8.4-8.7.

Beam was the greatest variety. My daughter started out with BWO BWO, more of a lev 7 routine. Coach took out one of the BWOs before states and she won beam at states. Sometimes less to deduct is more. I think the beam requirements are split leap 180 degrees, one acrobatic move BWO BHS etc. and a "a" dismount. My daughter did CW BTuck dismount.

So what is the deduction schedule for clearhips? I was just watching on YouTube a level 6 routine that had one cast above 45, but the other was only slightly above horizontal, and 2 clearhips nowhere near horizontal, and the routine scored a 9.0. I just can't see how it scored so high.....
The casts would get up to .6 for both, but likely less. I can't remember the deductions for angles in clear hips but If the routine was clean and nice lines/form, it is very possible it could score a 9. but the form would have to be spotless. Some judges are just more lenient than others on the angle deductions.

For L6 and L7
Clear hip to below horizontal... .35-.4 deduction
at horizontal .3 deduction
between horizontal and 45º .05-.25 deduction
at 45º or higher - no deduction
At L8+, there is also a .05 deduction for a clear hip between 20º and 10º from HS on the "C" Clear Hip. This deduction doesn't apply at L6 and L7 because they can only get "B" credit for the clear hip.

For L6 and L7
Clear hip to below horizontal... .35-.4 deduction
at horizontal .3 deduction
between horizontal and 45º .05-.25 deduction
at 45º or higher - no deduction
At L8+, there is also a .05 deduction for a clear hip between 20º and 10º from HS on the "C" Clear Hip. This deduction doesn't apply at L6 and L7 because they can only get "B" credit for the clear hip.

I though it was something like that. I'll pm you the video I was watching on youtube. It just seems way overscored to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back