New to group

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and new to gymnastics. I have 4 children (2 boys and 2 girls) both of our girls take gymnastics classes. Our youngest is 5 and has some real natural talent. She is going to compete this November for the first time at level 3.

How do you know if the gym is the best place for your child? I like the gym we go to and it is perfect for our older daughter is who likes taking classes but will never be a gymnast. But what about our younger child who could be a really good gymnast? What should I be looking for or asking about? She is only 5 but I am thinking about the future.

We are in the St. Louis area.

Thanks!

Hi Lisa Dawn, welcome to CB!

From a coaches perspective I'd say at 5yrs old, the most important thing to consider is whether or not she is having fun.

I know a lot of people will say, fun/enjoyment really is the only factor at this age, however, I believe there are some things that you should watch out for with a particularly talented child:

Make sure her coaches get all the niggly things sorted like pointed toes, straight legs, stretched arms and fingers etc. This can be done in a fun way, and it doesn't have to make the gymnast feel that they are being nagged at.
It is also really important that the skills are taught correctly - try to familiarise yourself with what good form is - perhaps look at youtube, you will soon easily spot the difference between good and poor skills.
I also think it is important that the gym knows competition rules!

I say these things from having watched gymnasts with a good amount of talent be let down by their coaches lack of effort! There is a particular club in my region who bring gymnasts along to competitions. More often than not these gymnasts are unprepared, physically, for the level they are competing. However, every once in a while, they bring gymnasts who are more than capable of scoring well, but because the coaches haven't bothered to read the rules properly, the gymnast's scores have suffered - they often have barred skills in their routines, or the coach remains on the podium when the routine has begun etc. There are also many clubs who don't make any effort with choreography or really 'polishing' the gymnasts performance.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now!

Anyway, to summarise - I do think the most important thing is whether your DD is having fun in the gym and that she gets along with her coaches and they bring out the best in her.

I would let her compete and see how she gets on. Also while you are at the competition, check out the other gyms, see how their gymnasts perform, see how other coaches behave towards their gymnasts - do they congratulate them for a good performance and console them for a poor one, or do they ignore the good and scold the poor? (I've seen a lot of the latter!)
There is no harm in looking and even visiting other gyms to see how they work but you don't need to cross that bridge until you come to it! You never know, you may already be at the best place for your DD.
Finally, be led by her - if she starts not to enjoy herself, perhaps think about a move. If she loves it, I'd leave her where she is, unless there is a reason YOU aren't happy (and it has to be a good reason!)

Sorry for that long post, and I hope it wasn't too much info, I just couldn't stop typing once I got started!

Marie

It's great that you are already looking ahead. My girls have been competing going on 4 years. I wish I had found this site sooner. I agree with Marie83. She is only 5 let her have fun. Keep an eye on the coaches though. If they are sitting around and not interacting that may not be what you are looking for. Watch a practice of the girls at a higher level. You'll be impressed by what they can do, but watch if they are having fun and how the practice is run. Also, see how many girls are at the higher levels. What level do they go up to? Is the gym able to keep kids around? Many times preteen and teens can lose interest. See if the coaches have what it takes to keep them interested. Have fun and good luck.

Hi Lisa Dawn, welcome to the board! I don't have a lot of advice about a talented 5 year old ready for competition as my daughter didn't start gym until 7. At 5 she was trying many activities, and hadn't yet found the sport that "fit" It sounds like you're ahead of the game already, having found something that makes your daughter happy!

As the others have mentioned, watch for the smile! Also, watch how your daughter's coaches interact with her. She may not spend a lot of time in the gym right now, but as she continues, the time commitment grows, as does the time spent in the company of coaches. These coaches will be helping shape your daughter as she grows and develops. There are many people in the world I don't want my child to emulate, and likely you feel the same, so having coaches with similar values is a huge bonus.

Thanks for the introduction, I hope you find enjoyment and support from the board!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back