Parents Ohashi

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Fijiwater

Proud Parent
How does Valeri Liukin get all these superstar gymnast? Does he seek them out and offer discounted training? Or do they go to him?

I figure that it's his reputation for coaching elites on the National team that brings these girls to train with him. It doesn't hurt that he has coached an Olympic AA champ either.

Ohashi was in a couple of gyms before WOGA (one in the WA state area and GAGE , I believe) so I would assume she sought him out based on reputation...

It's a success breeds success thing...

You have one superstar, people see and know you can coach to that level. So talented kids start coming to you because they want to be that superstar. So then you have a much bigger pool of very talented kids that want to be there, train hard, and have made the sacrifices to be at your gym. And these are kids that have already competed a few years, so you're taking fewer punts on total unknowns, and are taking more educated bets on kids that have had a few years training. So you're much more likely to have a second, and a third superstar. Then you have a big pool of kids at elite level, all training together. Watching the best, learning from the best, watching their friend nail a tkatchev, or win a spot on the national team, and know it's possible and they can do it too. Motivation like that is a huge factor.

He has coached two Olympic AA champions......I have no doubt they seek him out.

He has one Olympic champion, his daughter. Yevgeny Marchenko was Carly Pattersons coach. There are also plenty of girls who go to WOGA and leave. Just because someone has an Olympian is does not make them the best coach for everyone.

A girl relocated from our state to Texas specifically to train at WOGA with Valeri. She lasted about a year before moving to Texas Dreams. Just because it's a good fit for one, doesn't mean it's a good fit for all.

Was a bit of a rough end for his girls at the last Olympics trials too. The US team still faired pretty well with one of his girls on it, if I remember correctly ;)

Ohashi has been competing at this level for years already... We'll have to see if her body can old out like Nastia's did, or if spending that many years at elite is too much on her physically (Rebecca Bross).

That is my completely non-expert analysis. lol

Chow has had 2, Shawn and Gabby, but I don't see his program as much as a "look at me" program. They come in and get the job done. You know WOGA by their leos.

It seem to me as a fan that Texas Dreams seems a little friendlier than WOGA. Valeri looks scary as a coach. However, if you are really going to compete at that level I would guess all coaches are really tough and a little scary. I am really happy to see a Houston gym represented at a high level in Women's gymnastics. Dallas is the biggest gym area in the state, its nice to see someone that did not move to one of the those gyms succeed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back