Opinions on FWO BHS series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
I'm wondering what everyone, especially judges, thinks of this. My dd has decided she wants to do FWO, BHS as her beam series for level 8. I think this was the idea of one of her coaches who is a former elite. I'm thinking this is going to be really hard to get credit for the connection. The elites that do front aerial bhs, do seem to get credit even when they swing their arms as long as the movement is continuous. I don't think she's going to get as much of a break on this. Has anyone seen or used this combination? If you're a judge, what would you want to see to give it credit?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always thought the series was connected if the gymnast did not move or adjust the support foot and there was not a significant pause between the skills. My DD also wants to do a FWO-BHS. Since the FWO ends on one foot with the other raised, she will need to bring the raised foot down and go into the BHS without adjusting the support foot at all. At least that's my understanding.

The swing doesn't necessarily break the connection, it's a continuous movement thing. But it's a hard series. If the kid had a BHS, at this point I'd probably be working on BWO and BHS series for L8. I think at some point it just becomes more difficult. If she can get a front aerial, maybe, I think BHS BT is the more physically likely series at the next level. I for example, am not very flexible but could FWO easily on beam. I cannot easily do the leg drive required for a front aerial without significant form breaks, despite being stronger than average (it's the flexibility). For some girls, it's the strength. Some find it easy. I can punch easily, but not this. Never very good at step out skills. I find BHS two foot layout easier than step out.

Basically I think they need to work a variety of skills but the foundation should be the continuous "punching" connections, i.e. the BWO and BHS series unless the gymnast really has a series block. If the FWO is good they can work on the FWO into the series or the BHS to eventually do it there. I don't see a reason personally to devote a whole summer to working on FWO BHS. If the kid has a good FWO and good BHS they should be able to figure that out pretty fast.

Thanks gymdog. This year she did a FWO cartwheel series. She likes to do unique skills and combos and her coaches are receptive to gymnasts doing different things. I think she probably sees bwo bhs as too run of the mill. My fear though is she'll spend all summer doing this series and when the season comes around and they do mock meets, she'll be told she's not getting connection credit and has to change her series. Something similar happened to her this year and she had to get comfortable with a new series in less than a week, which caused her a lot of stress.

A counter series can move slowly and still get credit. Which a FWO BHS series is obviously going to be a slower moving connection. Personally, I had this drilled into my head last summer during all of the clinics, so I'm going out on a limb and saying most judges are familiar with this rule. As long as her base foot doesn't adjust and she doesn't wobble between she should get credit.

A counter series can move slowly and still get credit. Which a FWO BHS series is obviously going to be a slower moving connection. Personally, I had this drilled into my head last summer during all of the clinics, so I'm going out on a limb and saying most judges are familiar with this rule. As long as her base foot doesn't adjust and she doesn't wobble between she should get credit.

Thanks! This makes me feel much better. :)

It was ironic to see this post. My daughter was exploring that option today for a level 8 series. She is having a hard time this year finding something to work for her. Last year at L7 she did BWO BHS. This year she tried BHS two foot BHS step. It worked ok for a while but then she was having trouble. Then tried RO BHS but again did good at first then had trouble. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. A lot of her issues right now are fears of a series. Mental block!!

Anyway best of luck to your daughter. My thoughts are if it is working and she is comfortable, she should do it.

Maybe she could do FHS (stepout) BHS. I think FHS are much easier than FWO and the connection would be a little faster. At my gym a level 9 does one-handed FHS, BHS. That's C+B, the same value as BHS, BL (B+C).

Thanks gymdog. This year she did a FWO cartwheel series. She likes to do unique skills and combos and her coaches are receptive to gymnasts doing different things. I think she probably sees bwo bhs as too run of the mill. My fear though is she'll spend all summer doing this series and when the season comes around and they do mock meets, she'll be told she's not getting connection credit and has to change her series. Something similar happened to her this year and she had to get comfortable with a new series in less than a week, which caused her a lot of stress.

I guess I see BWO BHS as run of a mill for a reason. I think they need to start learning and perfecting the continuous punching connection as early as possible in preparation for BHS salto. And also to improve dismount opportunities. That's just my own philosophy. I had a coach who made it not an option for me to get that stuff, and honestly if it had not been like that I think I would have totally stalled out doing what I view as "dead end" series that are not reliable connections. I am not very flexible and have scoliosis...series were always...quite an adventure for me :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure I spent most of middle and early high school thinking about how I would have to do flight all day. So my personal philosophy is as soon as they have BHS they are doing HS BHS, BWO BHS, etc to get these things proficient to do BHS BHS and beyond. If they have certain problems like me they will need to work on this so much. But I understand different programs structure their optional workouts differently. I briefly went to another gym (complicated) where it was not pushed as much to do certain requirements and lost a lot of skills. But also some girls have the flexibility and other physical properties to knock out BHS BHS like it's nothing (jealous...also have not willingly done a BHS BHS in years...eventually I figured out that not having to put your hands on the beam after the first thing is a pretty good deal).

I agree that Level 8 should still be a time to at least try to get that "proper" series down. Personally, I HATE the front aerial connections at elite level, especially if it's their only series. A series should be building momentum, which a change of direction just doesn't do. If she's not a fan of back tumbling I'd rather try to do a forward series (FWO FHS, FHS FHS, FHS Roundoff, eventually FHS-side/front aerial) and try to perfect that connection. Definitely more risky that the other 2 (back tumbling only and change of direction) but MUCH prettier, and if done well a less questionable connection.

Thanks for all the different points of view. I'll discuss these with her and her coach. Her back handsprings on beam are good and she herself described it as the "easiest" skill in her level 7 routine. She could and probably should do bhs bhs, but she likes the front walkover. I hope the coaches will at least have her do bhs bhs over the summer and hopefully she'll have both down by competition time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back