Pike or Straddle?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

Hi! I was trying to find if someone posted about this but I couldn't seem to find it. My question is for the kip is it easier to straddle or pike? I have tried both but I am just not sure about what one is easier to do. I guess it is going to be different for everyone. I have heard that if you straddle it requires less strength, is this true? What would you also reccommend doing for someone who is tall, I can do about ten leg lifts, pull ups aren't that easy for me, and I have a great glide but I have trouble keeping my toes on the bar. Any general kip tips would be great as well! Thanks! :)

If your a tall person a straddle glide is the best for you. Pikes do take a little more strength. I don't know what you mean by keeping your toes on the bar? Do you mean in the kip or on the tuck on? hope i helped:)

I am pretty tall so I guess based on what you said a straddle would be the best. I meant by that when I bring my toes to the bar they only stay there for like a second then as I try to kip they come off of the bar. I hope this makes sense a video would probably explain my problem best but I am not allowed to upload any videos. Anymore tips?

The kip itself is exactly the same. The glide swing, however, is a different story.

A piked glide can sometimes force better timing, and generally looks nicer. A straddle glide has lower strength requirements.

My preference is generally for a piked glide, but it's no biggie.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back