Poll: Straddle or Pike Kip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

R

Rising_Star_Gymnast

Which glide do you use, straddle or pike? I use straddle.:)

I straddle too. I don't know why but I found that I glided out further when I did. Not that I have my kip yet...
How close are you? It took me forever... And I use straddle because I am tall, but I can do pikes.

How close are you? It took me forever... And I use straddle because I am tall, but I can do pikes.

It honestly depends on the day. The other day I ripped four times (haven't been to gym in like 2 months) so I wasn't doing well. Some days I get really close, others I do alright but not as close as I'd like.

It's really frustrating!! I get the glide right, I don't get my toes to the bar. I get my toes to the bar, I don't shift my wrists. It's never all put together.

Sounds frustrating. You should do it off a block or springboard (if you don't already. It will give you more power.

Sounds frustrating. You should do it off a block or springboard (if you don't already. It will give you more power.
I usually do it off a block, I always wondered if I could get a running start and then use a spring board but never tried! I don't think it would work out! :D:rolleyes:

Me too. Make sure you pull (like pulling up your pants) then shift your body over the bar. Kips are a pain to get (it took me a year :) )

Straddle on my first kip starting from the floor and pike out of anything else (casts, free hips, shootovers, etc). I do straddle out of back hip circle underswing kips on the low bar though because I'll hit the floor. So usually pike.

Straddle on my first kip starting from the floor and pike out of anything else (casts, free hips, shootovers, etc). I do straddle out of back hip circle underswing kips on the low bar though because I'll hit the floor. So usually pike.
I am the opposite I will hit my feet piking :)

Why would you get in trouble? My coach just doesn't care ones way or the other.

Well nobody really does straddle at my gym and I guess they just want us doing pike. ( ok this part is completely random but how do you to some of the emojis? I have only figured out :( :) ;) )

When you post, there is a symbol that looks like a smiley. Click on it, and it will show you available smilies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back