pullover help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastjess

I can do a spotted pullover although i think my coach does all the work lol...but i just cant do it on my own...when i try on my own my hips get like 20cm away from the bar and then i just can't do it....im already working on arm and ab strength exercises but i want something for me to keep in mind when doing a pullover or tips? :)

I lost my pullover for a while this year. What helped me get it back was to think of my feet going over the bar, not just up.

If you are trying chin up try sort of stepping and kicking up into it it's a tonne easier!

make sure you bend your arms and pull :p it seems stupid but i see kids not pulling at all HELLO!! its called a PULLOVER!

THink about getting your hips to the bar :)

For every skill i have words for example round off flic sault is

Long fast back set knees land

and for my pullover i think
kick pull hips

Stepping into it will become a habit, so I suggest you work on your chin-up pullover. There's a deduction for stepping into it. Abs and arms are great, you'll get it very soon, I'm sure of it!

There is no deduction for stepping into it here in AUS :) plus i would never ever be able to do a chin up pullover so... haah

I can't do a chin-up pullover either. My DD had to do it for her bar routine this year. I can only do it if I step into it.

yeah haha they take much more strength i think i will just stick to a step in pullover ;)

There is no deduction for stepping into it here in AUS :) plus i would never ever be able to do a chin up pullover so... haah

There is a deduction for stepping into it in Australia. You will lose at least 0.3, but its fine to start the skill this way. Losing 0.3 is not as bad as losing the total value of the skill.

Aussie coach when you say at LEAST 0.3 does that mean that it is more depending on the severity of the step?

Both elements are not from the code, so usual for deductions can apply. Such as bent arms (chin up pullover) leg separation (kick around). All routine level 1-4 state 'Pullover' so either technique should be acceptable. It used to be 'chin up pullover', so many probably expect a chin up, and some states probably still deduct. Rules should not be bent for an old skill and not another. Neither deduction is listed in the common faults for the skill either.

oh our girls this yr didnt get deductions maybe because it was a end of yr club champs aka a fun comp they went easy? lol
and i thought that we might get deductions but i didn't think they would be a big deduction so ill stick to a step-in haha any more tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Both elements are not from the code, so usual for deductions can apply. Such as bent arms (chin up pullover) leg separation (kick around). All routine level 1-4 state 'Pullover' so either technique should be acceptable. It used to be 'chin up pullover', so many probably expect a chin up, and some states probably still deduct. Rules should not be bent for an old skill and not another. Neither deduction is listed in the common faults for the skill either.
Pineapple_lump is this for Australia?? and how do you do a chin up pullover without bending your arms?? and what do you mean by kick around?

Well that is my point, going by the book (FIG code in Australia) the skill has a built in form deduction. We don't take the deduction as we accept the technique for the made up (non code) skill. The same should apply to the step (what I call kick around/over). No where does it specify what a pullover is, it is up to the individual coach/judge to decide. The manual is not very specific and leaves many grey area's to be interpreted by coaches/judges.

DD's former preteam bars coach, who IME was very good, said always "knees to nose, round she goes". This was so the girls did not forget and throw their heads back too quickly -- so they would complete the leg lift from the hanging chin.

So when my son wanted to learn at home I said "knees to nose, round he goes" and that worked for him also.

I did not mean more depending on the size of the step. I meant there may be more deductions on the skill, when a gymnasts steps into the skill the main deduction is leg separation but other deductions could apply.

However, I am looking at the updated code for level 1-3 and it does not seem to apply as a deduction on the pullover any longer as it used too.

The deductions on the pullover are
Bent legs - small 0.1, medium 0.3 90 degrees of more 0.5
Front support not controlled - a little 0.1, a lot 0.3
Body piked, arched or loose - a little 0.1, a lot 0.3

Some ideas:

Put a ramp in front of the low bar and while holding on to the bar, run up the ramp and kick over the bar (At our gym for the ramp we use a low trestle table and a springboard.

'Think knees to nose'

For strength: get into a 'chin up' position (Chin over bar but not on the bar, arms bent) Then hold it for as long as you can without feet on the floor. I do this one by just standing with my hands on the bar, feet on the floor, then tuck my knees up. At first it is hard and you will probably drop underneath the bar, but still hold it as this will help!

Also try to use the bar - if you are allowed to kick into it, as you kick, pull the bar down, then as the bar bounces back up pull your hips to the bar.

Good Luck!

THANKYOU VERY MUCH!! i use a box to kick off :) but the knees to nose should help and the pullup hold!! thanks again :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back