Question for owners/coaches: renting space for team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This question is mainly for coaches/ owners, but if parents have an opinion I'd be happy to hear it!!

I am emotionally exhausted after 4 & 1/2 years of a continious power struggle and dealing with anger and jealousy issues with my boss. He is the owner, I am supposedly the Head Coach. I work VERY hard and I am a great employee, and I think of myself as a good leader and very organized and responsible.

I want to look into renting gym space of another gym (I am looking at smaller, more recreational gyms) to just have a team, until I can get some capital to open my own gym. I know I have to have a non- compete contract (I have a few friends who have done this before) stating I won't accept any of their gymnasts in my program & vice versa, my own insurance, and of course a business plan.

As an owner would you consider this? Would you call my boss and "tell" him that I am contacting you with this proposition? (My boss is not very respected in the gym community, ppl think he is volatile and a little crazy.) What type of info would you be looking for when I sit down with you to propose this idea? Is there anything that I could say/propose that would make this a No-go? I'm thinking in this economy, this situation, if handled right, could be a win-win situation for a lot of people.

What else do I need?? I plan on being a honorable person and not contact my current team members and inform them of my plan (this is assuming it all works out). However, if they hear about it and contact me, I will deal with the sitaution as it comes.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I wouldn't sign any "no compete' clause...if the kids at the gym want to follow you, and you aren't actively soliciting them, then it's consumer choice. I travel over an hour for my kid's gym and pass many a gym on the way because of the "product" (i.e the coaching) that we are seeking.

I know of one of our old coaches that did something similar...he opened up a competitive program in a very recreational gym and it has gone well so far...

Is a "non-compete" clause legally enforceable in your state? In some, the owners force the coaches to sign them, but they can't be upheld in court.

Around here, they are not enforceable if that is the way the person makes their living because you can't deny someone a right to make a living.

Basically, the no compete clause is to keep gymnasts from the current gym from leaving their program to switch to mine- or vice versa- not me leaving one gym to coach at another. My plan is to have my own program-and just rent space in someone else's program-and them move to my own space when I get the capital and find the space.

Bookworm, could you pm the name (and contact info if you have it) of that coach you mentioned???I'd love to get as much info 1st hand if I could.

Many times a non compete clause is not held up in a court of law, but in the gymnastics world anyone who would even be willing to take kids from another local gym is highly looked down upon by the powers that be within that state. A bad reputation amoung other owners and coaches is something that is very very hard to shake. At least in our state!

Recently in our area. Gymnast were not treated fairly at the gym they were at. So a few decided to go in a different direction. When one door shuts others open. Just how the world works. Not every gym is for everyone. Better to find that earlier than later. See that this happens a lot with coaches as well.

No Non-compete clause can stop a parent from pulling their child and moving to another gym no matter what coaches are there. the non-compete clause usually means you can't solicite parents to follow you nor give out info about where you are going. So they have to find you if they want to be with you. But the gym can not prevent parents from leaving and going to anyother gym just because you decided to work there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back