Parents Rant about ankle weights and vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A little background, I have 2 dd's in gym, my oldest being 17 and my younger one being 7. My older dd currently level 7 and my younger dd just got picked to join the pre optional group ( they train with the optionals but compete the level they are at, so she competes level 4, but they do a lot more up training) Saturdays the optionals and compulsories all train at the same time. This past Saturday I decide to stay and watch practice ( very uncommon I usually go run errands in this time) and I noticed the compulsories ( who have different coaches than the optionals ) were on vault with ankle weights on. I've read a lot of the threads on here about ankle weights being bad, so I specifically told the head coach I don't want my dd using ankle weights to train (But now that's she's training with the pre optionals, they don't have the same philosophies about these kind of things). At first i thought, ok maybe their just working running drills, until I saw the girls started vaulting with them on. None of them could make over, but it still scared me to death the fact that they had weights on their ankles. All I could think about was one of those kids hurting their backs trying to get over . The head coach who is the compulsories vault coach is an older lady who's been coaching for quit a long time and is very set in her ways ( doesn't really update her drills at all) I just hope one of those kids don't get hurt attempting thins, this could lead to some serious injury.

This is such a tough position to be in. Everyone says it's your kid and you have to speak up, but they also say to trust the coaches. It's almost a no-win situation. Good for you for speaking up.

My daughter went through this and we had no idea how bad it was. Her team did full floor routines, including tumbling, full vaults, full bar and beam routines all wearing ankle weights. Their daily warm-up was jogging with ankle weights. EVERY DAY. This included the youngest team kids at age 6 all the way up to optionals. It wasn't until my DD started complaining of back pain a few years later that I talked to her doctor and started doing a lot of research. There is a lot out there that talks about the negative effects of using ankle weights in this way, but there are also companies that market these items toward gymnasts and coaches and the marketing shows the gymnasts doing leaps and jumps with them on.

Unfortunately, this weekend we found out that one of my DD's former teammates has several fractures in her spine and at least two bulging discs. Many of the fractures are several years old and have never healed. Of a core training group of about 20 girls, at least 8 experienced consistent back pain for years and at least 4 have been diagnosed with fractures in their back and/or bulging discs. None of these girls were high level optionals. Some reached level 8, but some were compulsories when they started experiencing pain. Even with a high impact sport like gymnastics, those ratios for the same injury and symptoms seem very high to me. Maybe there is something else in this coach's training regimen that adds to the back injury rate, but after my research and discussions with people in the medical field, I am convinced that the weights played a huge role. To my knowledge, this coach is still using these training methods at her current gym. It's really sad because people want to think their coach does the research and stays educated. But, that isn't always the case.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

My dd uses ankle weights when conditioning, but has never used them on vault and I think I'd have something to say if she did.

Ankle weights are a good training tools for many things but not for a 7 year old. Their bodies and muscles are simply not developed enough, this is a serious injury risk.

Speak up ASAP. I used ankle weights for just sprinting, and nearly immediately got shin splints and knee problems. Do not allow her to use them while vaulting. She will have long term problems and its very painful.

Unfortunately, this weekend we found out that one of my DD's former teammates has several fractures in her spine and at least two bulging discs. Many of the fractures are several years old and have never healed. Of a core training group of about 20 girls, at least 8 experienced consistent back pain for years and at least 4 have been diagnosed with fractures in their back and/or bulging discs. None of these girls were high level optionals. Some reached level 8, but some were compulsories when they started experiencing pain.
Sorry to hear about this, and I hope they all have a full recovery.
As for speaking up I definitely did, I told the coaches i don't want her using ankle weights, she's already very small for her age and I really don't want long term injuries, unfortunately I've been told that they are still going to train with them, just my kid won't because I said something. Hopefully patens realize and say something before someone gets seriously injured.

Eek! I can't imagine little kids trying to vault with those. Brief hijack: when is it ok for 7/8 yr olds to use ankle weights? I have seen some of the gyms use for conditioning only (running laps on floor, releves, and leg lifts), but not for tumbling, vault, etc. Is that safe?

Eek! I can't imagine little kids trying to vault with those. Brief hijack: when is it ok for 7/8 yr olds to use ankle weights? I have seen some of the gyms use for conditioning only (running laps on floor, releves, and leg lifts), but not for tumbling, vault, etc. Is that safe?

I am admittedly biased on this subject given our experience. Just wanted to put that out there because there are definitely people on CB that will disagree with my point of view.

After my research and talking with people in the medical field, I would say that kids should not run or do any sort of impact exercise with ankle weights (i.e. tumbling, vaulting, etc.). This probably applies to people of all ages, but adults can make their own decisions. There is a reason that our bodies don't quickly gain 1-2 pounds in our ankles. We are not made to deal with that type of impact. Others have even talked about the negative effects of swinging bars with ankle weights. There are lots of threads on this topic that you can go back and read to help your education.

I think there are static exercises where weights can be safely used. Different types of leg lifts to help build leg and core strength. Resistance bands are also great for these types of exercises. Ankle weights aren't all bad. It's just how some coaches choose to use them. Used incorrectly, they can be devastating to a young athlete's health.

I've seen the coaches at our gym use ankle weights for conditioning but never during routines. And vault? Eeek! I'm with dunno and kandkfunk on this one.

Reactions: sce
Our gym uses the weights on 7YOs in TOPs training for leg lifts, rope climbs, hand stand holds and press handstands. They basically do the exercises a few rounds with the weights and then a few without. I've always thought this fell in the OK category...

That sounds crazy to me. I've seen a lot of running and jumping rope with ankle weights in gymnastics practice, but tumbling or vaulting seems like an exceptionally bad idea. I don't think jumping with ankle weights is a good idea, but I held my tongue when my dd did it. I don't think I would do that for vaulting with weights though.

OMG -- Can someone please give me some good citations/articles that talk about this? I'm realizing that my DD's coach has them using 5 lb. ankle weights (each ankle) through most if not all of their 2 hour practice sessions. Vault, tumbling, conditioning... all of it. She's 12 but some of her teammates are as young as 7 and even they have been told they can't use lighter weights -- we got a "dear parents your child absolutely must use what I give them not something from home" letter recently about this.

Five pounds on each ankle? That is extreme! My DD never worked in more than 2 pound weights and those did enough damage.

I had done quite a bit of research, but that was almost two years ago and I got rid of most of it. It is hard to find a lot of kid specific stuff. Most of what is available through simple internet searches are adult focused. There is a little more grey area when talking about adults, although they are still at risk for the same muscle, ligament and joint injuries. For kids, almost everything I have read agrees that impact exercises with ankle weights is dangerous for growing bodies. In addition, most of the opinions I read tend to agree that ankle weights do the exact opposite of what people are trying to gain with them (i.e. running in them can make you slower by changing your gait and shortening your stride) and there are safer ways of attaining the desired results.

Below is what I could recreate pretty quickly.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/546473-are-ankle-weights-bad-for-kids/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/expert-answers/ankle-weights/faq-20058222

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-hew-askus10sep10-story.html

http://livehealthy.chron.com/ankle-weights-bad-good-teens-7312.html

http://discoversoccer.info/making-use-of-ankle-weights-in-soccer/

I am so sorry you are in this situation. I really hope that you find a solution. You can also do some searches on chalk bucket and read up on this topic. It has been hotly debated in the past and there are definitely coaches on here who don't think they are so bad. Although, I would hope that most people would agree that 5 pound weights are excessive.

Crap. DD's coach just requested all his L4's to get 2.5 lb ankle weights. I THINK they just use them for conditioning drills (leg raises, etc...) but now I'm going to have to be more diligent about paying attention to that.

We use weights for TOPS stuff and conditioning. Occasionally they will put their weights around the waist for leaps. If they are running, they carry them. Never for vault or tumbling! Mostly use resistance bands for leaps and kicks.

OMG -- Can someone please give me some good citations/articles that talk about this? I'm realizing that my DD's coach has them using 5 lb. ankle weights (each ankle) through most if not all of their 2 hour practice sessions. Vault, tumbling, conditioning... all of it. She's 12 but some of her teammates are as young as 7 and even they have been told they can't use lighter weights -- we got a "dear parents your child absolutely must use what I give them not something from home" letter recently about this.

You may need to find a new gym.

I just had a thought. In a lot of the competitive programs here there's a PT who comes in once a month to work with any kids who need it. Is there a PT or other health professional who works with your team that could be the bearer of the message? It's hard when it comes from a parent who seems like they're stepping on the coach's toes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back