Parents School Day Meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
The final time slots aren't posted, but it looks like DDs session at Christmas on the Chesapeake is going to be on Friday. Depending on the time of day, it's going to be at least an hour drive to get to the meet location. So, I think there's a pretty high likelihood that she's going to miss part or all of school on Friday. If it's later session, then she can definitely go to school for part or all of the day. I'm thinking I'm not that lucky though and it will probably be a 10 am start or some other early slot. How do you handle school absences because of meets? Do you tell the teachers in advance or just call in sick? It's too early to know about any tests or assignments, but I obviously would prefer not to be missing school on any regular basis.

My ds had a couple meets when he was competing that had Friday sessions and I just let the teachers/school know ahead of time so that they could give any work he might have been missing. It was never an issue. At the time he was in 2nd and 3rd grade so it wasn't as big of a deal to miss a day, but it actually bothered him because it messed up his perfect attendance. So far it hasn't happened with my dd. I never liked that they were scheduled on a school day an thought it was weird. However, now my ds is in high school and is on the swim team and basketball teams. Both sports have at least one event during their season that takes the team out of school for an entire day, so I guess the gymnastics is no different it just isn't at school.

Well, DD goes to a private school and the principal's daughter is also a competitive gymnast, so the one time DD had a Friday meet it was not a big deal. Any tests on Friday are done by lunch, so for her last comp, she went to school until lunch time since the meet was in the afternoon. I'd just talk to the teacher once you know a definite time to discuss maybe getting any tests done early or when she returns. I'm not sure how your school is regarding absences (is she in public?). I've heard that sometimes the public schools can be more difficult about missing than private schools.

I tell the teachers ahead of time and make arrangements to get work prior to leaving, or schedule a makeup if she's going to miss a test or quiz. Usually if it's only one day, she's not required to make up the missed work except for tests, but she likes to.

Looks like my dd will have a Saturday slot at COTC but most of her teammates will compete on Friday, so we may end up going early to watch.

Last year we had a 8 am Friday time slot for a meet so we missed the entire day. I told the teachers the truth and they were willing to work with us, but this was 4th grade. I'm not sure teachers would be so flexible when the gymnast gets older?! I also offer for her to take any tests the day before. All of the work for the day came home with us on Thursday and was completed over the weekend.

Good luck!

Thank you for responses so far. She's in 6th grade - public schools (she's at a middle school if that makes a difference).

As a teacher, I will give the 'other side' of the coin by saying that asking a teacher to give the child the work ahead of time so they won't miss can imply that 'no teaching' goes on and the children can just do classwork on their own, no teaching required.

So, instead of asking for the work that your child will miss, I would just tell the teacher that your child will miss and why. Ask what day/time can your child meet with the teacher in the days following to find out what she missed etc. This makes the teacher feel like you value their teaching and time.

Many school handbooks these days have something written to the effect of the above

Many gymnasts I know are organized and pretty diligent about getting their work done ahead of time. Teachers recognize this and for the rare meet or two children need to miss school they seem to be very accommodating.

I think it's just important to give the teachers a heads up and also not to expect that they will prepare work ahead for children before they've even taught the lesson.

Just a thought.

Thanks everyone. I definitely appreciate the teacher's perspective and any other thoughts. The challenging part is that it's not just one teacher since the 6th grade is in middle school. DD is pretty diligent with her homework, so I'm not worried about her catching up on one day of school. I just wonder if teachers would view a miss for a sporting activity negatively (even if it's very occasional). It should probably be viewed no different than taking a child out for a vacation day, but for some reason I feel guiltier.

Thanks everyone. I definitely appreciate the teacher's perspective and any other thoughts. The challenging part is that it's not just one teacher since the 6th grade is in middle school. DD is pretty diligent with her homework, so I'm not worried about her catching up on one day of school. I just wonder if teachers would view a miss for a sporting activity negatively (even if it's very occasional). It should probably be viewed no different than taking a child out for a vacation day, but for some reason I feel guiltier.

My DD is also a 6th grader in MS and I feel less guilty about meets than vacation :D FWIW it was never an issue with older DD either, both girls are good students and the teachers have not minded giving work ahead, especially if it's something that they are prepared to share. At the risk of going off-topic, my dd's language arts teacher also allows dd to do spelling/vocabulary HW over the weekend prior to assigning it for that upcoming week, so she can lessen her HW load during the week when she has practice.

As a teacher, I will give the 'other side' of the coin by saying that asking a teacher to give the child the work ahead of time so they won't miss can imply that 'no teaching' goes on and the children can just do classwork on their own, no teaching required.

This is a great point! By no means did I mean that they should give anything that involves learning new concepts, to be self-taught.

I was referring to work that's already been covered in class, for instance, math review or continuation of a lesson. For new material, the teachers normally tell us not to worry about it, that they will go over the work in class the following week and DD can 'catch up' then.

Beth is in 8th grade now--I've always just sent a note to school with her saying she would be out of town on such and such day and would be missing school. Her teachers typically give her the work ahead of time and if any tests are given, she's always taken them early. I know some schools are picky about reason to miss, so I don't mention specifically that it's for gymnastics, but I honestly don't think it would be an issue as they let out the entire high school to go cheer on classmates at State competitions for HS sports (but the school is very sound academically too).

I don't call her in sick because that is too much like lying for me--don't want to send that message to her.

Some teachers will view missing school for gymnastics negatively. However, in some school districts it is considered an "excused" absence. since it is middle school and there is more than one teacher involved, you might want to check with the school board's policies and talk to the principal, if you decide that it might be beneficial to let them know where your daughter will be.

My dd is an optional gymnast in HS. Her season doesn't start until Jan so I always make it a point at the 1st parent-teacher conference, which is actually coming up next week, I tell every teacher she is a competitive gymnast & that her season will be starting in Jan & she might miss some days here & there. If I know of certain days I'll mention them. I also tell them that my dd will follow up with them the week of a meet if she is going to be missing a day.

Thankfully for her, she has an on-line system through her school that many teachers post the week's assignments & when tests will be. If a test is falling on a day she will be missing, she makes the teacher aware & she tells them she can take the test the day before. Most teachers tell her don't worry about it and she can take it when she returns, but she always offers to do it before she leaves. Vany assignments she turns in before hand or can email them the day of.

I find the key is to be proactive, not reactive. All teachers have been receptive and have worked with her, even when she has to miss 3 days for Easterns last yr.

Granny Smith we have done the same thing with my daughter for years ...she has always been proactive about her schoolwork; does a lot on the weekends; keeps the teachers in the loop. This year ALL of her meets are on Fridays! so the scheduling Gods were not looking kindly on us...it's weird because as a 10 she has generally competed on Saturday nights but this year it's all on Fridays...

Granny Smith we have done the same thing with my daughter for years ...she has always been proactive about her schoolwork; does a lot on the weekends; keeps the teachers in the loop. This year ALL of her meets are on Fridays! so the scheduling Gods were not looking kindly on us...it's weird because as a 10 she has generally competed on Saturday nights but this year it's all on Fridays...

You know already when she's competing for all her meets?? We don't know when any of Beth's are yet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back