Shoot-through trouble

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have two gymnasts who consistently "fall" on the shoot-through. One is a competing level 4 (first year, no meets yet), the other is Level 3 working on 4...

On their shoot-through, they don't keep their shoulders over the bar long enough to finish the skill in a split. They both end up throwing their heads back and pulling down on the bar as they hook their knee...this action is forcing a "back mill circle"...

We are having a pretty difficult time with the gymnast competing level 4. She just keeps doing this - and laughs and isn't making changes.

We have a meet in two weeks. Our first one of the season.

Question: If this happens in the meet, will she only receive a deduction for the fall on the shoot through and then possibly a form break for the bent knee? Or is it possible that the judge can take a deduction for an added element with the "back mill circle" action?

Thanks, and if anyone has any recommendations on how to "fix" this problem we would really appreciate it...

not sure what the deductions would be (since I'm not a judge) but,

my dd's class trains shoot throughs on panel mats. they start in a push up position and jump their foot through their arms without lifting their hands off the mat, landing in the splits. Dd calls it "jump to splits"

they also stack mats under the bars for some of the girls who fear falling forward.

I know i'm not much help, but i tried :)

I would assume it's just a fall. She's not going all the way around, is she?

I would stop doing shoot throughs for this week and focus on the "push up" position before the mill circle. Holding it pushed up, and going from "relaxed" to push up multiple times in a row. If they aren't strong enough and aware enough to balance in this position, they will be weak on the shoot. It is a bit like balancing in the handstand position at higher levels - if they don't understand how to use their wrists, shoulders and fingers to maintain the balance, they are often casting over or looking floppy, etc.

If she is doing the wrong thing and laughing, I'd just take her back to a simpler version, no matter how close to the meet. Practicing it wrong won't help anyway. Spot, or she just cuts her leg over for a couple days and does the push up exercises and shoot through drills separately. Have her do one leg shoot on lower bar or floor bar with the other leg standing in support, and on pommels can have her try start in front support, quick lift to tuck through on the other side, finish tight still holding on (both legs, one leg). If the parents question I would explain, she is not doing the skill and needs to relearn it if she will have any competitive success throughout the year.

Sometimes I will make them repeat the skill, or an easier pared down version, until they can do it right. They don't want to make everyone wait and have to go and go, so there's a little pressure. You don't want to be mean, and I force myself to keep my voice extremely even and patient if I'm going to do this, but I feel there has to be some expectations laid down for quality turns and concentrations. If I know they're capable of it, I will just make the correction and tell them "try again". If you have to, talk to her at the end when the other kids are out of the way about your expectations and praise what she did well and any progress she made. If I am making a kid repeat turns, I look for evidence of any little progress or effort.

This skill is hard for some kids with certain physical builds though, limb length to torso length, etc. But the overwhelming majority at that level should be able to learn it.

Last edited:
As far as deductions go, it'll be in the judge's opinion depending on the type of meet (State meets hitting harder, small invitationals might be more lenient, etc.) I imagine you'd get hit for the fall, errors in execution leading to the fall, and depending on the severity or timing of the miss, incomplete elements (no shoot-through, no clear stride support, etc.).

As far as helping her, I prefer to use a "pike drag up" for months before teaching the shoot-through itself, as conditioning. On a large block mat, have the girl hold a front support on the edge. Then, she pushes down on the mat trying to lift her hips up (with a rounded back/hollow chest) keeping her legs in contact with the mat the entire time. Ideally, she should be able to push, (or "press") past her knees. If she is very new to this idea or a little weak, she won't get that far. But, once she can press past her knees, then she should bend one knee straight up (between her arms, NOT around the side or by turning her knee outward) hold the bent knee with her foot tucked under her bottom as close as she can, and then straighten it back down. Once she can do this quickly, she's likely strong enough to put it on the bar, and adding a little cast and learning the timing should be all it takes. Then do short shoot throughs with a block in front of the bar so she learns how to shoot-through and keep her foot/leg up (as mentioned, this also helps catch her if she falls forward).

But, as mentioned, some kids have flexibility issues as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back