WAG Sia - Chandelier floor routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Routines like this are what will bring artistry back into the sport. There are some lovely gymnasts out there that can sell any routine, and they are the true performers that the sport needs to reintroduce artistry as a more prominent factor, whether the routine is more contemporary or not. The floor exercise is the most expressive event in WAG and this girl is truly treating it as such. There are many moves and passages from the song's music video, but remember, the judges are not scoring on how well the routine is choreographed. They score the form on the required elements, as well as the flow and rhythm of the routine, which she all has in spades. This was a pleasure to watch, and was quite refreshing.

Also, dance is a form of art. WAG has lots of dance, especially on floor. It is going to be subjective. If you want just tumbling with power and speed, watch MAG or power tumbling.

I personally thought it was cute. I have not seen the original video, but I liked that her floor routine told a story. I thought it was age appropriate, and honestly, thought she was acting out a story as a little girl throwing a tantrum. I like that it was differnet!! And honestly, she truly performs and sells it.

I feel the same way about this routine as I did about a routine I saw that basically used the same watered down choreography as Moceanu's 96 floor exercise......it's a shame they copied so much!

I don't mind a few "signature" moves being added as a tribute, but when it SO much is copied, it just feels like they let another choreographer do the work.

Now, I love the song. Find the video very artistic and thought-provoking. I think this girl has beautiful gymnastics. But as a whole, I am left feeling empty because I'd rather see a choreographer attack a piece of music from scratch with original moves than just cut and paste 75% of someone else's work.

Tough audience for sure.

I am not familiar with the athlete or the competition rules, but this afternoon for conversation I am applying the FIG FX rules. FIG FX routine has Artistry Deductions which, IMO, are clearly spelled out.

A quick FIG SUMMARY - A gymnastics FX routine and choreography must demonstrate -
a. Creativity
b. Variety of movements
c. High degree of correlation between movements/music/expression and gymnastics elements.

Artistry deduction on FX is up to 1.10

Composition/Construction of routine
(a)Execution
(b)Effective use of space and placement thru the routine.

Dynamism and Fluency
(a) All movements are linked
(1) No unnecessary pause
(2) Smoothly
(3) Dynamic w/energy
(4) Performed easily without fatigue or heaviness

Body Posture
(1)Alignment
(2)Amplitude (length of movement)
(3)Energy

Presentation –emotional component of routine
(1)Reach audience with physical skills, charisma, personality, magnetism, presence and body language.
(2)Shows self confidence with genuine/natural facial expressions

OK background set, now my opinion -
I believe that the dance and expression is original and it is a bold choice of music and dance. I find many dance elements repeat more than appealing, the correlation between music/dance left me not hugely engaged emotively with the routine, energy did not vary to a great degree and the space usage was predictable. The gymnast, while executing the dance did so without an amplitude or emotion that would be recombinant of a top level routine.

Generally I enjoy the bold choice, but I find it less than engaging emotively. As to skills - great jumps/leaps. Turn fell out and tumbling had deductions in dynamics and execution. I enjoyed watching the routine as it was different. Can you imagine the potential effect the routine could have with a more mature presentation, a few dance element changes, tempo variances and dynamic gymnastics elements? That would be eye catching and a show stopper.

Excellent athlete and I imagine that she will mature to be an exceptional gymnast.

Excellent post as it is thought provoking and challenges the "norm" of WAG.

Best to all, SBG -

Wow, I just googled her to watch her range and conditioning, she is a massively talented little girl, west end shows, tv commercials, as well as top level gymnastics! Unbelievable how much she has achieved at the age of 11.

I liked it! Cringed during a couple of dance moves but she seems like an exceptional young gymnast.

(Unlike some of you, I love the original music video by the way, maybe because I went through a slight Dance Moms addiction last year?)

It is a really good routine but there is basically no original choreography which I think is what makes a routine stand out from the rest.

I liked that it was different, but didn't like that it copied exact moves from the video. Her dancing is not up to Maddie's level (wouldn't expect it to be), so I wouldn't advocate so blatantly copying the original dance. However, if it was a one-off routine, as someone above suggested, maybe it was just easier to copy the exact moves than to choreograph something different to the music.

Overall, it really stands out when something is different. I am generally a fan of modern dance, but I thought aspects were a little too repetitive. There were a lot of entertaining parts though and I probably would have been more impressed if I wasn't already aware of the music video . Tumbling and leaps were amazing! She is a very talented young lady.

I didn't mind it. It was a bit odd but perfect for those who don't like to point their toes :p. Those leaps are seriously impressive!

I know this sounds awful, but all I could think about was Jim Carrey's version of chandelier on Saturday Night Live. I have never seen the original video, but if this is a copy then he did a pretty good job. I loved her leaps - the dance style not so much.

I think its a fun routine for a gala or show but not regular competition. Gorgeous leaps. Very very similar to the video and if you haven't seen the video then the routine could seem a bit messy.
Not my style unless for a show.

Love it or hate it, we can all agree she's a beautiful and talented gymnast! I applaud anyone going out on a limb and trying something different. Out of curiosity, roughly what USAG level is this? I assume other countries have their own systems?

The idea seems good, but it is too much like the original. The weirdness needs to be cut down a bit, and some smoother transitions need to be added. Routine seems choppy.
I generally don't think the FULL ON copying is good.

on the other hand, i like seeing different stuff!

Last edited:
Love it or hate it, we can all agree she's a beautiful and talented gymnast! I applaud anyone going out on a limb and trying something different. Out of curiosity, roughly what USAG level is this? I assume other countries have their own systems?

This was for a routine to pass an elite grade (abit like your elite compulsory routines) so not a usual voluntary routine, it had set requiements. I would think she would be a level 10 USAG with her voluntary routines.

I can totally appreciate that she is a phenomenal gymnast from watching the routine, but I just did not like the dance. I usually love that style of dance but didn't feel she was pulling it off well or connecting the dance and tumbling smoothly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back