WAG Skipping Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Skipping practice will only hurt those girls in the long run. And your child being there will only help her in the long run. It has to be something very, very special for me to let my kids skip - or they have to be sick.

I agree with this, but man it ticks my son off. this and the whole "skipping conditioning will only hurt you". He gets soooo angry when people say that because, and this is in his words "we are a TEAM mom, and skipping hurts all of us!"

Kind of funny when he said it because he was furious!

As a coach it is hard when some of the girls don't show up. Especially when you plan things for that one kid that really needs it and they aren't there. Or when the week after you move to the next step and they are lost because they missed class. I would at least like the parents to text or call before.
Not saying that kids should ever miss..kids are kids! But it is a bit of an inconvenience :)

I appreciate hearing your perspective as a coach!

I agree with this, but man it ticks my son off. this and the whole "skipping conditioning will only hurt you". He gets soooo angry when people say that because, and this is in his words "we are a TEAM mom, and skipping hurts all of us!"

Kind of funny when he said it because he was furious!

Oh I just love that he feels that way. I have noticed my son's team is more cohesive and the girls are more competitive amongst each other. It will be interesting to see how that changes as they get older and more experienced.

DD rarely misses, unless ill. She will occasionally skip the one optional practice but even that never more than a few a year. She has been sick since before thanksgiving so its been a rough month or so, though!! She has gone to condition, watch workouts and participate probably 1/2 to 2/3 of her total gym time this past month.

Overall her gym is pretty understanding. They do reward perfect attendance, so they are encouraging it, but they don't give anyone a hard time if they have to miss. They've also been known to modify schedules if there's a known event that impacts more than a few of the kids.

My gym has quite a few who routinely miss practice, for a ton of reasons. the coaches always say that they provide the opportunities, and it is up to the kids (or their parents, depending on the situation) if they take advantage of them.

This tends to happen though, especially during the holidays. By the end of practice there are often 3 kids in the whole gym, who are all exhausted. (we end late and the younger kids tend to leave earlier)
That's also what my coach says; she won't get angry about it because it is ultimately their choice if they miss practice time.

DD rarely misses, though I'm not sure how much of that is by choice and how much of it is a very strict attendance policy that allows for only a handful (8, I think) of absences during the year for anything other than illness, emergency or required school events. And since two of her five practices each week are weekends, it means the family has stopped traveling outside of gym closure holidays. Wish we had more flexibility.

Our gym has an awesome attitude about missing practice. Our first year on team I hesitantly brought up that we like to ski on weekends and our coach encouraged us to continue this family time. Three years into it, they are still supportive of our family trips Jan-March even though our DD misses Saturday practices. Other than our three months of ski season, I leave it up to my DD. If she wants to miss for a school event or a party, I let her. We always inform the coaches and I think they understand. Usually my DD chooses to go to practice (as my avatar might indicate). She feels committed to the team and to her own progress in the sport. I don't ever want her to go because "mom made me". That would just backfire anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back