Parents Skipping

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

yet skipping is the most important component for all things 'hurdle' in gymnastics. it was something we never had to teach until grade schools took this basic of all human movement out of the P.E. curriculum about the middle 80's. ball sports, ball sports, ball sports...blah, blah, blah. :)

Oh, but in my little guys 4K he got assessed on skipping! After being told by his gymnastics coach that he had mastered it, his 4K teacher said he hadn't. Who do you believe? lol. I believed his coach. Not just because in her eyes he had it, but mainly because of the source.

I love the skill of skipping. I maintain that you cannot skip and be unhappy. There is just something joyful about it. Sometimes I tell my kids when they are grumpy on the walk to school, to skip - it just cheers you up. :)

Most kids need to slow down and they will get it (especially if they can hop). I find in hard/frustrating when five years olds can't skip/hop and won't try because they can't. It is really sad that at such a young age some children won't attempt things they are not 'good' at.

What a great responses :) so enjoyed reading it. I wanted to add that dd managed to learn one skip at the end of the run - just enough for it to slightly resemble A skip in "run-hurdle-roundoff". Half of the time coaches are like "hmmm, do it again.". Lol half of the time it kinda looks like an awkward skip at the beginning of a roundoff. Lol. I should take my camera and ask a coach if she can do a lot of skipping in the class lol

It is really interesting to read this topic! I used to work in schools teaching gymnastics and the aim of one of my year 3 sessions (age 6/7) was to teach jumping, hopping and leaping and the difference between them.
It was amazing how many children of that age group who couldn't skip at the beginning of the class but by the end of it, because they understood what a 'hop' was could do it by the end of the class.

In our pre-school classes at our gym there are quite a few girls who can already skip, but none of the boys can! It really is seen as a girly thing to do even at a young age!

I also agree about skipping being joyful! There is a British comedian called Michael McIntyre who thinks its just a lot better than walking:

http://youtu.be/5OKY2jyBm4w

I love the skill of skipping. I maintain that you cannot skip and be unhappy. There is just something joyful about it. Sometimes I tell my kids when they are grumpy on the walk to school, to skip - it just cheers you up. :)

Absolutely! Skipping can lift even the most miserable of spirits! And even just watching someone skip puts a smile on my face!

I did not realize that skipping was hard for some kids! I never really thought about it I guess. I know my DDs can skip very well (as can I), but I don't know when it started. I don't remember learning to skip - I just remember doing it. I have never seen DS skip, but he's never been the skipping kind.

I always see boys doing what I call the half skip: They take a walking step with the left leg, skip with the right, walk with the left, skip with the right. It's the beginning of their teenage strut. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back