Parents Special Request

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I can see the value in competing these lower compulsory levels provided the gyms don't get too hung up on the scores and over scheduling the meets. Before we switched gyms (mid-season), our old gym had a rule that the girls had to earn two scores of 38 or above to move up from new level 1! It's that kind of stuff that makes the parents crazy when the kids are 6 years old and in these low compulsory levels. Our old coach tried to tell the parents that it is not uncommon for kids to repeat levels. Sure, it's common--at new level 3 and up. But what's the point of repeating levels 1 and 2?! Darn right that's why kids get bored and drop out! Hilariously, the highest scoring kid on our old level one team who was 9 years old can't even do a backbend kick over yet, but she gets to move up! And the 6/7 year olds who are lacking in perfect form, but can do back walkovers and back handsprings (several of them can) will be repeating level one just to make the gym look good. Whatever! And I know this isn't the only gym that operates this way. Sorry for the rant, OP! Thank goodness for this message board!

I feel for you. My daughter is a level 5 and has been struggling all season though she had a clean meet a few weeks ago and got over a 34aa not as high as others might see as Hugh but for her this was great. She has worked with her coach to set goals like getting her flyaway or full turn on beam so she can accomplish goals and keep moving ahead. hopefully your daughter can do the same. It is so hard otherwise if they are focused only on scores. For my daughter those high scores are not within sight yet but hopefully for her someday

Some spot-on responses so far. Just wanted to add my support and empathy for your hard-working DD! The extra-flexible ones often struggle with form/tightness early on, but it is such an advantage later! She is just starting out, really, with so much ahead of her. It's hard to say to oneself and actually believe 'placement doesn't matter (much)', but it is really her progression over a longer time period that is going to define her success. Fab scores today would feel awesome, sure, but not being in the top spots are nothing to feel shameful or worried about. There is so much time for her to keep perfecting the basics as she adds new skills. Focus on her love for gymnastics, and let the toe points and tight knees come when they may. And they will. And she will amaze you. She needn't take a break from something she loves just because someone else is currently better. If we all did that, no one would paint, sing, dance, craft, or... be parents ;-)

But I know it's all easier said than done, so warm thoughts to you both!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back