MAG State meet reports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Chase (in his opinion) had a bad meet and left in tears. He balked on the floor dismount for the 1st time in the last few meets and somehow got a point less on his pommel score. Landed 6th on pommel and 12th on rings. Got 16th AA and qualified for regionals.
I think maybe I jinxed his floor by bringing it up on this forum last week.

My guy's a L4 and this was his first states and the first states for all of his teammates. Almost everybody had personal best all around scores, but it was kind of a tough meet. In particular, they've been doing really well on P bars the last few meets and it all kind of fell apart for them today. (My poor dude lost his press handstand on floor, which he never misses, and added a costly extra swing right before his straddle on P bars.) But still, they have all come a really long way this season.

As I've mentioned, DS has been . . . well . . . "obsessed" isn't too strong a word with conquering the mushroom at this meet. He literally spent hours in the basement on his mushroom over the previous two weeks. And he was determined to get 5 1/2 circles, no matter what. So he salutes, with this look of absolutely grim determination on his face, and off he goes. One, two, three, four, five . . . agggh, no!! . . . six and a half! He got lucky and the judge didn't realize he'd added an extra element, so he ended up in fourth place for the event and that really made his meet. He also placed AA in the top 15, so for him, I'd say it's been a very successful year. Almost everyone went home with something, so that made them feel a little better about not getting to bring home a team banner.

Onward to level 5!

My Level 4 son placed first in the all around, floor, and pbars. Those two events he had mistakes on last meet, and pbars the past two meets, so that was great. He was disappointed in his rings, because its his favorite event, and he placed third. His team won, and he was named to the all state team. I would say it was an incredibly successful meet :)

Nice job! I love hearing how these boys did.

Derek had a decent meet...not his best, not his worst :) He placed 4th on floor, 2nd on pommel, 6th on rings, 8th on vault, 9th on Pbars and 10th on highbar. 4th all around. That was his lowest all around place this year, but he was all smiles. Our team took 2nd....again :)

Now off to regionals! So glad they have few weeks. He smacked the pommel with his knee thursday and has a nasty swollen bruise. He says it hurts when he walks...hopefully it heals quickly ;)

Wow, some really talented gymnasts. Congratulations everyone. My son did well, not his best meet AA. With a 87.7 AA, which is not bad, he came in we think 12th for L6 States. He didn't place but would you believe they started placing with a 87.8!!!! He was disappointed but happy about going to regionals for the first time! His highest place was 5th on Pommel with a 15.3.

Good job at state everyone!!!

My son had a good meet. I am amazed at his progress and continually amazed by his love for the sport. He really likes to compete and says his favorite is floor because everyone watches him, which surprises me as he is generally very shy and quiet. I am loving the confidence he is getting as it's been a tough year at school (by far the smallest in the class by a huge margin, a bookworm, quiet little kid that is a perfect bully magnet).

In the Fall we weren't sure if he would compete level 4 or 5 or not compete at all as he switched gyms as of October. I think he started learning the level 5 routines right at the end of the year, and I am so proud of how hard he worked and how well he did. His coach is seriously AWESOME -- not just at coaching gymnastics, which I would give him a perfect score on, but also just dealing with a 7 year old little boy, keeping it fun yet keeping him focused too. I am so happy with the gym change and just proud of my little guy! He did get a couple of 15.0s at the meet so he was excited about that, and got his kip and muscle up, just all in all, we thought he did great. He could go to regionals but we aren't traveling for meets this year so he will have to wait on that, but I figure at 7 years old, it's good to have something to look forward to.

Congratulations everyone! It sounds like most had at least some high notes and qualified to regionals.

DS had a really good L6 State meet. He worked hard preparing and was able to score many personal bests.

Started on HB. First time competing front giants and he did so cleanly. DS placed 4th with just the front giant--all the others in the top 6-8 had both giants, so this was a great result. He's hoping to have the back giant routine ready for Regionals and be up there with the top three.

FX--Not his best routine, but solid. Scored 14.1 no placement on this.

PH--Added the spindle for the first time. Nice routine. Placed 4th.

Rings--Judging was hard and his back uprise was a bit shaky. Still good enough for 5th place.

V. His worst event by far. He actually did something with some propulsion off the table for a 14.6, no placement, but a personal best for him.

PB--Not his best routine and in front of one of the hardest judges. Got through it without a major disaster.

AA-- 7th. Qualified for Regionals and he's excited to get back to gym and spend the next few weeks trying to pick up a few more tenths here and there. We're really proud of his hard work!

DS is a level 4. He had a great first state meet. Placed for the first time in AA, 7th. Up 1.9!
High bar - fell back forward after his pull over, never did that before, he always does something interesting in his high bar routine. But the rest of the routine was gorgeous. Personal best and 8th place.
Rings - did pretty good, about his average score, which sometimes places really high, this time didn't place.
Vault - low score, lots of steps on landing
Floor - Personal best and 7th place.
Pommel - was awesome for him! Up 1.3 from his high score. 7th place.
pbars - he scored about his average for 8th place.
Overall a great first state meet!

Wow, so many guys having personal bests, placing, and qualifying for regionals! This is terrific to hear. Best of luck to all of you who are getting ready for regionals. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

This was our first state meet, as I mentioned, and I guess I really did not realize how many boys there would be. In my son's age group alone, there were more than 70 L4s. I don't know why, but I was thinking it would be more along the order of 40-50. Our state hasn't posted results yet, so I can't see how many there were competing the higher levels. But now I have a better sense of why the little guys started warming up at 7:45 and we didn't get out of there until almost 2 PM.

Welcome to men's gymnastics :) My son's age group at Level 5 had 76 kiddos in it :) The attrition is high, and the number goes down each level, but it can still be quite a shock!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back