Parents Straddle split beam mount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

I never taken gymnastics classes as a kid but put my dd ( now 4 year old) in it. She gained strength and flexibility. Now she keeps practicing at home. I never ask her to go anything. She is not allowed go do anything dangerous at home. She can do splits and maybe cartwheels at home. But that about it. I don't want her to hurt herself. This morning I found her doing middle split mount on beam. Is it even a beam skill? Lol I am asking because I am curious. :) she keeps inventing routines for fun. And this is her latest thing - to do middle split mount on beam. We have this foldable floor beam that lays on the floor. She put it on the couch and jumps on it - her hands together in the middle and her legs apart in the straddle splits. Lol do they even do it in gymnastics? Lol

If I understood correctly, then yes. That is my mount. I start facing the beam with my hands touching the beam then I jump up and put my legs in a straddle/middle split. I don't think it's worth anything though, just a pretty way to get on the beam. Some people do a straddle press and come down to the straddle/middle split.

My dd level 7 just got her beam routine on Tues. and this is her beam mount, it is the one she wanted and loves it:)

Here is a short clip I took of her doing it lol
I hope it works

YouTube clip here

[video]http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&rdm=mcetap4ti#/watch?v=1GzLZZfWSY4[/video]

She certainly does look flexible! I know my 4 yo couldn't do that :)

Word of warning though, if she must do it at home, don't let her do it on the couch. If she misjudges slightly, or the beam isn't stable enough (which it isn't on a couch like that), she will flip backwards on to her head.

I saw in another video that she is allowed to do bridge kick overs at home, this I would avoid ccompletely. Bridges, for the under five crowd, are strongly discouraged and should definitely not be an at home skill.

I agree with the beam mount, keep the beam on the floor, she has lovely flexibility, but a backwards spill is not going to be good.

She doesn't do any of that stuff now :) with backbends I learned from here that she is too young now. :) and with the beam she knows she can do it so she doesnt do it like this - only at the gym.

I meant to say back bends/bridges/kickovers. - all of that stuff she can do but we don't do it anymore:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back