Teaching twisting split jumps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastbeth

Moderator/Gymnast
I coach pre-teamers twice a week, and I've just started twisting jumps with them on floor. All of their jumps are absolutely beautiful. (Arguably better than half the team girls.) The HC gave me the OK to start twisting with them.

Straight jumps and tuck jumps went really well, but I'm having trouble explaining the concept of a split half to them. I'd tried saying it's a split jump, then close, and then turn, but they all just preemptively turn while still in the split.

I'm desperate for any drills on this skill, it just doesn't seem to click in their heads what they're supposed to be doing. Any ideas?

I learned a split full as a half twist, split, half twist. They can do half jump, split jump, half jump. You might have them spot the 1/2, by having them look at a teammate standing behind them before they split. For the second half, you can work split 1/4s with the latest possible twist - this is nice because if they turn early, they will overtwist. Working them on the trampoline was very helpful for me because I didn't have to worry about getting all the way around. On the trampoline you can get up to split or straddle 2/1.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back